JessCawth95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi everyone, I currently work as a finance assistant in a solicitors and its driving me insane, I think I'd like to become a game developer, but after doing some research it looks like I'd have to go to uni - I got my current job through an AAT level 2 and 3 apprenticeship, (I'm paying for the next level course) I live in York and have found a course at St John's uni, I live with my partner but I'm not sure how the finance aspect would work, we can't live where we live without both our wages, can't get any help from family, has anyone else left a job and returned to full time uni and not have it massively impact you financially? Or did anyone get a game developer job without a degree?
Fresh27
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do it! Decisions like this are easy if you really think about it from a long-term perspective. In 10 years time would you like to be where you are today, or possibly doing something you love?

I'd look into your options for student finance & a loan. You can always get a part-time job to help. For example, I worked at Monzo and did weekend night shifts as a Customer Service Rep and earned £16,000/yr.

Also look into non-uni courses. Teach yourself through online courses, reach out to as many people as you can on linkedin and just ask to have a conversation, you never know what will happen and you literally won't lose anything from trying.

Wish you the best!
Last edited by Fresh27; 1 week ago
Vexper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You don't need to do a degree to do game development at all. If you are looking for justification to leave your current employment then yes you can do that but you may have regrets. The degree in itself does not put you on the path to being a game developer because it's all based around your portfolio and experience. Much of it you are going to be doing in your own time anyway - game dev courses generally have everyone working to the same specifications. The problem this causes is that everyone is making the same things - and because the industry is competitive when you all apply for jobs at the end with all the exact same portfolio... it's the guy who put in the work at home and went beyond the course content who gets in. It's an industry of passion combined with broad and niche expertise.

You are better off either working on your skills in your own time and then reaching out to small indie companies with the offer of remote work. But that's a sacrifice you'll have to make. It should be clear that the games industry is not half baked. My friend works for a big developer and when crunch time hits he barely sees his family and hitting milestones can be stress inducing beyond what your current job might produce.

If you are dead set on uni though I would reccomend doing games programming instead. You learn the skills to actually implement your ideas and your creativity is unlocked a lot more - plus programming language skills will serve you well if you get fed up of games development but want to remain in the digital realm.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (212)
70.67%
No I haven't decided yet (55)
18.33%
Yes but I might change my mind (33)
11%

Watched Threads