How is the jump from GCSE to As/A level? Watch

dangermouse00
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Is the workload much bigger? I've just finished my gcses and start As in September and one of my teachers said about 4 hours of homework a night at As/A, is this really true?
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
GCSE - AS is fine. AS - A2 is a bit bigger. And four hours of homework isn't unfeasible, but it depends heavily on how good you are and what your subjects are. I'd say four hours was on the heavy side.
-WhySoSerious?
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You'll generally start off pretty light. It gets more around November/December and then you have your Jan modules. The workload cranks up a gear for the May/June modules too.

The only time I was doing 4 hours a night was a month before the exams really
Punk Phloyd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not much of a jump in my opinion, but many of my friends whose GCSE results surpassed my own are now finding AS/A2 very difficult.

So I would say it depends completely on the person and which subjects you choose.
ally.pants
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think 4 hours a night is mad!! i generally did that per week... on a good week.
I guess it's to do with how big your work ethic is, whether you struggle to get good grades and how much your college/school gives you. I was told 4-5 hours per subject, per week and you could do it (if you did a lot of private study) but i wouldn't think for most people it's neccessary...
shorty.loves.angels
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it depends on the subject, i did PE, biology maths and further maths (ahem)

PE: very different but not difficult, required less than 4 hrs a night
Biology: slightly more difficult, not a lot different, possibly 4 hrs per lesson...?
Maths: different and more difficult imo, shud have done 4hrs per night, didn't and therefore didn't do great and further maths was similar to maths... what are you taking OP?
ally.pants
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh and I didn't do maths or sciences, I did English, French, History, Geography, Archaeology. My twin sister did maths and science and seemed to have a lot larger neccessary workload.
AussieKat
Report 10 years ago
Not particularly 4 hours a night, but it is a lot more. The leap is quite big... but the leap from AS to A2 is worse x
shorty.loves.angels
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I found GCSE - AS worse than AS - A2... I must been 'one of those' :p:
dangermouse00
Rep:
?
Well I did triple science with an extra module for each Physics,Bio and Chem. I plan on doing Bio and Chem. Apparently there's alot of that extra module on the new syllabus.
Also plan on doing French and English Language.

Predicted:

A in french
A* Biology
A in Chemistry
B in Eng Lang

Will these grades affect how much work I have to do?
kestral
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Huge jump imo

you got to work really hard, because A levels count for a lot!!
ally.pants
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ooo English Language - so glad i did it with literature it's boring as hell!

Actually I take something back - I should have done a lot more studying for French... languages move up a notch or two between GCSE and AS.
RJ555
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It is a jump, but you can get by doing 1-2hours a night for most of the year, then 3-4 during exam period. Don't let good alevel results catch you off guard though, it is definately harder thats what happened to me and alot of people I know.

I think it also depends on the subject, I found the jump from GCSE to AS maths to be HUGE, (got a good A at GCSE, then an E at AS :P).
Chrisateen
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The leap is not a big as people make it to be. When I was in high school the teachers made it sound as if its sooooo hard we have to study like someone told you 4hrs a day. TBH it depends on the subject and what you are good at.

It all depends on the subject choice and if you pick the right one for you the leap would not be a problem at all so don't worry about it
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dangermouse00)
Is the workload much bigger? I've just finished my gcses and start As in September and one of my teachers said about 4 hours of homework a night at As/A, is this really true?
4 hours a night? Why do teachers spread that lie!? :rolleyes:

Trust me, no where near that long. I spent probably 6/7 hours a week and that was for A2, AS was less and I got AABB for AS and I'm not even that smart so trust me you'll be fine
Chrisateen
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I did triple science with an extra module for each Physics,Bio and Chem. I plan on doing Bio and Chem. Apparently there's alot of that extra module on the new syllabus.
Also plan on doing French and English Language.

Predicted:

A in french
A* Biology
A in Chemistry
B in Eng Lang

Will these grades affect how much work I have to do?
Sometimes its not about grades like i said before its about choosing the right subject for you, the school, the teachers e.t.c so it is not easy to say how big the jump will be.

For example someone said that the jump between GCSE maths and A level was huge. It thought the first module was easy and made it easy for you to settle into the course and just got harder and harder.

A level RS I found it quite easy especially AS but the jump between AS & A2 was a bit big (not much) due to the teacher, the way the questions were set and the amount of stuff I had to learn
Peel
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Actually my workload was a lot smaller, but this probably because I had lazy teachers who rarely (if ever) set homework, and the fact that I did mostly Science subjects. But for a lot of my friends, particularly those who did English Lit & History, they seemed to have quite a hectic schedule. In the AS year I think I probably did about 5 hours a week maximum on homework, and in the A2 year I'd often go through a week without getting any. I think you may mean actual self-study though, I didn't do any throughout the year (and I'll probably pay for it in my exam results).

In terms of the actual jump, from GCSE to AS level it is pretty big but certainly not as big as a lot of people make it out to be. From AS to A2 the jump really doesn't hit you till you're looking at exam papers. It really is quite a step up, so don't underestimate it like I did!
Faiza.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Erm not that big a jump. I didn't even spend 1 hr doing homework. Spent way less than that per night for all subjects in total. But then again, I hate homework so meh.
dangermouse00
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
4 hours a night? Why do teachers spread that lie!? :rolleyes:
The teacher that said it was like the head of sixth form and like super nice too.
ally.pants
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The teacher that said it was like the head of sixth form and like super nice too.

They all say things like this as it's given out as a general thing. I think if many of them were to do the A level themselves they'd realise 4 hours a night is major overkill.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.11%
No - but I will (46)
6.81%
No - I don't want to (50)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.67%

Watched Threads