Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I’ve planned on commuting to university because I have an ongoing illness (chronic so isn’t going to get better) but I’m not sure if I can use public transport in my condition and I can’t drive. But I rely heavily on my mum so the idea of living in halls scares me too :/ what should I do??
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’ve planned on commuting to university because I have an ongoing illness (chronic so isn’t going to get better) but I’m not sure if I can use public transport in my condition and I can’t drive. But I rely heavily on my mum so the idea of living in halls scares me too :/ what should I do??
University is the most protected environment you are ever going to live in, unless you plan on living with your parents for ever, and then going into wardened/sheltered/cared for accommodation when they can no longer support you.

You can get support from the University that you will never get from any employer, nor social services (in the time available). So if you have any aspirations to live independently, get talking to the University Disability Service asap about accommodation.

Commuting pretty much cuts out everything but the lecture side of University and makes it a much less valuable experience. Especially so if you have to be reliant on public transport.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (113)
64.94%
No (61)
35.06%

Watched Threads