D*D*D* BTEC ICT for Royal Holloway, but flopped GCSE Maths Watch

Dralexus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi,

I am a BTEC Level 3 student doing an ICT Extended Diploma course with first year 8 Ds and 1 M, with predicted D*D*D* overall. I visited Royal Holloway University on their last open day and loved it based on what was seen and really want to get in there. My BTEC grade exceed their requirements, but lack in the GCSE Maths one. I had a C back in 2017 when my GCSEs were taken and thought that with super high grades in my main BTEC course, good portfolio and personal statement, I would be accepted regardless of my Maths grade. Was convinced by community to retake my Maths and began studying 2 months ago. Sadly, I had forgotten some 90% of the stuff and had to learn everything from the beginning, except the simple logic stuff like percentages and day to day stuff. Their GCSE Maths requirement is a 6 or above, but after flopping the first GCSE paper and getting something between 25 and 30 points, after running out of time and not doing couple of questions I couldve on the second paper, getting a 6 would be unlikely. Would try my best and revise hard until my last 3rd GCSE Maths paper, but the constant stress about me not being good enough just kills me. If there was more time for me to prepare, wouldve gotten easily a 6, but the stupid me left it for the last moment. Anyway, my question is the following - Would Royal Holloway or any Uni of similar ranking consider me with 5 instead of a 6, if not , would anything change on clearing ?

TLDR - Going to get D*D*D* on BTEC ICT Extended diploma, got a C in GCSE Maths, decided to retake it this November and flopped the first paper, while not feeling good about the second as well. Can I still get in Royal Holloway or similar ranking University with a 5 ?

Sorry about any grammatical or spelling errors.
Last edited by Dralexus; 2 months ago
lia_r18
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If they say that they need a grade 6 at GCSE there is normally a pretty good reason behind this. Chances are that you may not get accepted if you do not achieve the 6 that they are asking for. However, it's best to speak to the admissions team for royal Holloway and see what they say.
Dralexus
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by lia_r18)
If they say that they need a grade 6 at GCSE there is normally a pretty good reason behind this. Chances are that you may not get accepted if you do not achieve the 6 that they are asking for. However, it's best to speak to the admissions team for royal Holloway and see what they say.
Queen Mary was my second choice which asks for a 5, but wont give me an offer unless I have the grade on hand, so would have to go though clearing with them regardless. I am just extremely stressed out as this can change my entire life for bad or good.
CyberSecurity
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dralexus)
Hi,

I am a BTEC Level 3 student doing an ICT Extended Diploma course with first year 8 Ds and 1 M, with predicted D*D*D* overall. I visited Royal Holloway University on their last open day and loved it based on what was seen and really want to get in there. My BTEC grade exceed their requirements, but lack in the GCSE Maths one. I had a C back in 2017 when my GCSEs were taken and thought that with super high grades in my main BTEC course, good portfolio and personal statement, I would be accepted regardless of my Maths grade. Was convinced by community to retake my Maths and began studying 2 months ago. Sadly, I had forgotten some 90% of the stuff and had to learn everything from the beginning, except the simple logic stuff like percentages and day to day stuff. Their GCSE Maths requirement is a 6 or above, but after flopping the first GCSE paper and getting something between 25 and 30 points, after running out of time and not doing couple of questions I couldve on the second paper, getting a 6 would be unlikely. Would try my best and revise hard until my last 3rd GCSE Maths paper, but the constant stress about me not being good enough just kills me. If there was more time for me to prepare, wouldve gotten easily a 6, but the stupid me left it for the last moment. Anyway, my question is the following - Would Royal Holloway or any Uni of similar ranking consider me with 5 instead of a 6, if not , would anything change on clearing ?

TLDR - Going to get D*D*D* on BTEC ICT Extended diploma, got a C in GCSE Maths, decided to retake it this November and flopped the first paper, while not feeling good about the second as well. Can I still get in Royal Holloway or similar ranking University with a 5 ?
Hi there,

You’re not alone here. I myself and 2 friend’s of mine are all doing the same thing. Similarly, I am predicted D*D*D* but got a 4 in 2018. I’m retaking in June aiming for a 7. May I ask, if you haven’t done GCSE maths since 2017, why stress over November when you could have done it in June giving you a whole year to prepare?
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Most universities insist on at least grade 6 or B in GCSE Maths for Computer Science due to the Mathematical nature of the course. Many especially leading universities require grade A at A level Maths. There was guy on here with D*D*D* who got rejected this year for this very reason. Last year Kent were making offers with grade C or 4 as were Essex but I think Kent have now changed and are asking for B or 6 this year but it is worth looking into. However universities often will make you an offer but wont confirm it until GCSE results day. If you meet the higher Maths grade you get in. If not you dont. You can resit your Maths in the summer. The other options are to apply to another course without so much Mathematical content or possibly take a gap year.
CyberSecurity
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Most universities insist on at least grade 6 or B in GCSE Maths for Computer Science due to the Mathematical nature of the course. Many especially leading universities require grade A at A level Maths. There was guy on here with D*D*D* who got rejected this year for this very reason. Last year Kent were making offers with grade C or 4 as were Essex but I think Kent have now changed and are asking for B or 6 this year but it is worth looking into. However universities often will make you an offer but wont confirm it until GCSE results day. If you meet the higher Maths grade you get in. If not you dont. You can resit your Maths in the summer. The other options are to apply to another course without so much Mathematical content or possibly take a gap year.
I agree. To add on, it is important you make sure the university you're applying to does accept predicted grades for GCSE subjects. As for Royal Holloway - I know that they do, having talked to the director of admissions there.

By the way, Kent does still take grade 4's for Maths.
StudentRep Annabel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dralexus)
Hi,

Sorry about any grammatical or spelling errors.
Hi there!
Have you considered the University of Kent for Computer Science at all?
Their entry requirements for BTEC are Distinction, Distinction, Distinction and grade 4/C at GCSE Maths, which fits well with the grades you said you had! Also, Kent is of similar ranking to Royal Holloway too.
If you are interested at all I'll leave the link to the course information page here so you can take a look.
If you have any questions about the course or the University of Kent, then please feel free to ask
I hope this is useful, and best of luck with your university applications!
Dralexus
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by CyberSecurity)
I agree. To add on, it is important you make sure the university you're applying to does accept predicted grades for GCSE subjects. As for Royal Holloway - I know that they do, having talked to the director of admissions there.

By the way, Kent does still take grade 4's for Maths.
(Original post by swanseajack1)

(Original post by CyberSecurity)
Hi there,

You’re not alone here. I myself and 2 friend’s of mine are all doing the same thing. Similarly, I am predicted D*D*D* but got a 4 in 2018. I’m retaking in June aiming for a 7. May I ask, if you haven’t done GCSE maths since 2017, why stress over November when you could have done it in June giving you a whole year to prepare?
Hi and thanks to all of you who responded, I already took my exam this November and for two reasons. First being that my believe was and still is that the time given was more than enough if the effort was put in. Second, even if my grade wasn't good enough would retake again this Summer or/and go through clearing. To give an update of my current situation, based on my prediction, using unofficial mark scheme, my prodicted grade is either high 5 or low 6. Keep in mind I began Maths lessons not long after this post and had forgotten most of the content needed. Even in case where I do not get a 6 for Royal Holloway, Queen Mary still accepts a 5 which I am 99% would get. Kent is not that much higher in ranking for me to go out of London as my mother would be paying for my tuition fee and wont be getting a student loan. Haven't proof read my post much and apologise if there are any errors.
Last edited by Dralexus; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (110)
28.13%
1 (62)
15.86%
2 (59)
15.09%
3 (62)
15.86%
4 (29)
7.42%
5 (26)
6.65%