Im thinking of moving to america (im 18) Watch

Itmustbedone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
pack up and go.

i reckon i need about £10k to get me going so would stay till ive saved that.

basically my life here in the uk sucks and apart from family i aint got nothing to stay for.

ive looked at new york and california for appartment rental and can get one for around $2500 (£1250) a month in new york (furnished)

for this i would need to be on minimum of $30000 (£15000) a year just to cover rent. i think this is achieveable by myself as pay is higher in cities to compensate (like london)

but for food/bills etc i would need to be on closer to double that. obviously i cant start at £30,000 a year there which is why i would go with some cash behind me.

anyone thought of doing the same/has done the same?

also anyone here live in NY?
sonicboooom
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you gonna try and find a job before u go? otherwise you might just become a bum.
Harv616
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The grass is always greener....
Robob
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, you sound like you've completely thought this through...
Badges: 13
Report 10 years ago
Don't argue with him, it must be done.

:getmecoat
Teofilo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Are you at all qualified in any field?

You're not going to earn 60,000 a year cleaning toilets..
dguy
Report 10 years ago
I live in NY. I can tell you that almost no young people can not afford to live by themselves. Most live with several roommates. And you can find comfortable places in Brooklyn for around 700 dollars.

NY is an amazing place. And I encourage any motivated young ppl to move here. Everyone in NY is a "runaway," trying to find themselves, trying to make something of their life in the greatest city in the world.

But in your case, I think you should think it through first. To survive you need to make sacrifice, and be really motivated. And most of all you need a PLAN to survive. Or else you will be in out in the street.

I recommend some kind of student exchange programs. Get to know NY before you take that plunge.
RoxyLite
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How are you going to get your visa? Seems nice and simple in theory, but no one will employ you without a green card- unless you have dual-citizenship already, in which case try BUNAC or something and get work there for a year, if you still love it then look into it more.
WithFlyingColours
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wages in the US are a lot lower than here you do realise?

$30, 000 a year is a lot more there than it is here and you'll probably need some sort of qualifications to get straight onto that wage. Try and line up a job before you get there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.25%
No - but I will (74)
7.49%
No - I don't want to (69)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (477)
48.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise