Is the Queen German? Watch

GarageMc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Was watching top gear and clarkson said "even the queen is german...." is this true, if so how?

The only way I can think of is Queen Victoria marrying Albert who was German, thereby all their descendants and hence Queen Elizabeth would be part German.

Anybody like to correct me/tell me if I am correct?
Nothos
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well due to all the cross breeding amongst European royals, every royal is technically almost every nationality. So Charles is technically German, Greece, Danish and English amongst other things.
uthred50
Badges: 16
Report 10 years ago
She's English, because she was born in England.

Clarkson was referring to the fact that her ancestors and bloodline are part German
Gren1TI
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Pretty much all white Brits are descendents from Germans / Scandinavians.

So if you consider yourself an indigenous Briton, then you most probably come from a German ancestry.

I guess this is what they meant on Top Gear unless it was a direct reference to Prince Albert.
Howells
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is the Pope Catholic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancestr...Ancestry_chart
Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The family is of German origin. But then remember all the European royals were inter-married.
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The Queen is a German Shepherd crossbreed. Don't quote me on that though.
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The current royal line was originally from germany. George I was German. That was quite a few generations ago though.
Ed.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
The Queen is a German Shepherd crossbreed. Don't quote me on that though.
lucho22
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well the actual surname of the royal family is Saxe-Coburg-Gotha... make of that what you will!
Emerald
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't be silly, of course the Queen's not German. She's a bloodsucking alien lizard :ninja:
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The queen has a lot of German blood in her.
The House of Windsor is the current Royal House of the United Kingdom and each of the other Commonwealth realms. The older part is a branch of the Saxe-Coburg and Gotha line of the House of Wettin, while the newer part is a branch of the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg line of the House of Oldenburg.
High anti-German feeling among the people during World War I prompted the Royal Family to abandon all titles held under the German crown and to change German-sounding titles and house names for English-sounding versions. On 17 July 1917, a royal proclamation by George V provided that all agnatic descendants of Queen Victoria would be members of the House of Windsor with the personal surname of Windsor. The name Windsor has a long association with English royalty through the town of Windsor and Windsor Castle.
That's from Wiki.
shootbangfire
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Howells)
Is the Pope Catholic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancestr...Ancestry_chart
curse you, i was going to ask that!
Ducki
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We invited the Georgians (who were German) over to rule when the Stuarts died out, and our current royal house stems from them.
Jonathan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The Queen is Jewish, actually.
Howells
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shootbangfire)
curse you, i was going to ask that!
Mwahahaha
Amelorn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ducki)
We invited the Georgians (who were German) over to rule when the Stuarts died out, and our current royal house stems from them.
The Stuarts didn't die out, they just worshipped the invisible man in the sky ever so differently.
Ducki
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Amelorn)
The Stuarts didn't die out, they just worshipped the invisible man in the sky ever so differently.
Which is pretty equivalent to dieing out in this country :p:
theredwindmill
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Shes British she was born here, but the royal is so inter-related with other countried that they have a little of every European country in them. But the Royal Family a predominate German background after James II. (i think). The windsors changed their german surname thanks to Prince Albert to Windsor to disassociate themselves from Germany.
Lord Hysteria
Badges: 16
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jonathan)
The Queen is Jewish, actually.
Are you thinking what I am thinking? :rofl: [/private joke]

(Original post by uthred50)
She's English, because she was born in England.

Clarkson was referring to the fact that her ancestors and bloodline are part German
I agree with this.
And OP, why ? Does it make any difference?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (293)
37.71%
No - but I will (55)
7.08%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.01%

Watched Threads