Possible friend problems - advice wanted Watch

comet365
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi guys

At the moment I am very good friends with quite a few people in the Christian union at my university. Im not a Christian myself, im an athiest, but just happen to have met a lot of the CU through someone who I used to live with.
I spend some time with 2 of these people in particular, one of which is quite devout in her beliefs which is fine by me.
However, I am also very close to a Wiccan and am considering asking her out. I really like her and I think she likes me. I am also friends with quite a few Wiccans/Pagans. Naturally when i organize something like a BBQ or a house party I want to invite as many people as possible. However I am aware that Christians can have issues with Pagans/Wiccans and vice versa.
I was just wondering if there are any Wiccans/Pagans and Christians who could offer their views on this situation? Would you be comfortable going to something like a BBQ organized by a mutual friend where the others were present? Would you be happy going if the subject of religion didnt come up and all parties involved were requested to leave religion at the door?
Thanks in advance for any advice
I would just like to make it clear that this post isnt meant to offend anyone and if anyone takes offence from it then I apologize, it wasnt intended.
Apologies if this is in the wrong section.
Somebody
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm a Christian, and it wouldn't bother me personally.

Unless the Wiccans / Pagans started doing some ritual stuff :p:

I don't put across my believes unless asked, so the whole "keep religion out of it" would be OK by me :p:
caustic87
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was always taught not to discuss politics and religion at dinner parties ;P

Seriously, though, people ought to have enough manners to live and let live, and not to turn a fun social function into an arena for hardcore religious debate. If they can do that, I can't see a problem.
Emerald
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I try and be a religious person and if I was invited to an event where there would be people of a different religion to me it certainly wouldn't bother me. I don't think a friend's social event is the time or place to hold religious debate and would just concentrate on having a good time. If your friends are at all considerate then they should act the same way. If you're that worried about you could let them know and say that if its going to be a problem then they shouldn't come.
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by comet365)
Hi guys

At the moment I am very good friends with quite a few people in the Christian union at my university. Im not a Christian myself, im an athiest, but just happen to have met a lot of the CU through someone who I used to live with.
I spend some time with 2 of these people in particular, one of which is quite devout in her beliefs which is fine by me.
However, I am also very close to a Wiccan and am considering asking her out. I really like her and I think she likes me. I am also friends with quite a few Wiccans/Pagans. Naturally when i organize something like a BBQ or a house party I want to invite as many people as possible. However I am aware that Christians can have issues with Pagans/Wiccans and vice versa.
I was just wondering if there are any Wiccans/Pagans and Christians who could offer their views on this situation? Would you be comfortable going to something like a BBQ organized by a mutual friend where the others were present? Would you be happy going if the subject of religion didnt come up and all parties involved were requested to leave religion at the door?
Thanks in advance for any advice
I would just like to make it clear that this post isnt meant to offend anyone and if anyone takes offence from it then I apologize, it wasnt intended.
Apologies if this is in the wrong section.
Should be fine; most of my friends are Muslim or Atheist and I'm a Christian. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
comet365
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thanks for the replies!

I dont think it will be a problem but I can see some interesting conversations happening lol

One of my friends, one of the Christians, does have the tendancy of putting her foot in her mouth a lot lol
She is an absolutly lovely person but can say the wrong thing sometimes.

Thanks again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (356)
37.59%
No - but I will (74)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (451)
47.62%

Watched Threads