Umayrc63
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi, I've got a quote that i need help in analysing.
"A man without bowels of mercy"

Thank You
Shakthiraja72
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Try Asking the instagrammer:
Mr.everything.english
he will surely help x
--Emma
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I don’t know if this is a bit late, but it might be easier to look at this quote as: ‘the face of a man who was without bowels of mercy’. This is referring to Mr. Hyde, and (I’m unsure of this so please check) it is one of the first descriptions of him. This leaves the reader with an initial, and lasting, impression that Mr. Hyde has the appearance and personality of an ‘evil’ man. There is no mercy or warmth about his demeanour or how he acts.

The term ‘bowels’ also conjures images of the something hidden - an underbelly. For clarity, if you were to say the basement is in the ‘bowels’ of the building, it would mean that it is hidden deep in the house. This forms a nice connection with the theme of duality between Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and the relationship between the two. For example, Mr. Hyde enters from the dilapidated rear entrance of the house, whilst the doctor is the one who enters from the front. It is the doctor that is on show for the respectable members of society, whereas Hyde is more hidden and part of the ‘underbelly’ of society.

I hope that helps a bit 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (40)
19.61%
Unconditional if firmed (16)
7.84%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
0.98%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (5)
2.45%
No unconditional offers (141)
69.12%

Watched Threads