Geordie Accent - Whats The Big Deal? Watch

GeorgEGNT
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ok, me and a friend were out last night having a few drinks and whilst we were in the queue at the burger shop we got chatting to some lasses from Derby, and the first thing they said to us was 'say lush!, say lush!' and then a series of other words and phrases followed. The thing is, this has happened before on several occasions, and on facebook I've also noticed a group called 'Yes I'm a geordie, stop asking me to say Byker Grove'.

I find it quite humerous but was just wondering what the whole big deal is about it? I've never in my life seen anyone with any other accent made to say certain dialect etc on demand! lol

Anyone else on here suffered this accent treatment or even subjected anyone to it? Post your stories or views on here!
Cate15
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
its a reallly sexy accent
Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't get the attraction.

Isn't "Lush" a Welsh thing ? It seems to be all Stacy from Gavin & ever says .
Liverpool's Number 9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got it all the time when I was down south. Again "say lush".
GeorgEGNT
Rep:
?
wow first time I've heard that lol
redbluegreen
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can think of better accents. Scottish accents are simply marvellous.
trefusis128
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by redbluegreen)
I can think of better accents. Scottish accents are simply marvellous.
Ive got a well good scottish accent
But I do love the geordie..
jh_1988_england
Report 10 years ago
there from derby..they dont get out much
but geordie accent is nice though
GeorgEGNT
Rep:
?
I'm not sure on the origins of the word lush if I'm honest like lol, just know that I'm always told to say that, I know when I go to uni I'll probably get it as well, I was on a camp a year ago with loads of people from Manchester (I was the only person from Newcastle) and I was nicknamed geordie all week and tormented all the time ! haha better than the manc accent, aye a love me accent although I have learned to speak 'properly' so to speak, but only save that for ATC when flying.
lolimemma
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah I get this quite a lot at uni. Thing is I don't even really have a geordie accent!! It's like:
Them: So where are you from?
Me: Newcastle!
Them: OMG Geordie lass!!
Me: Nah I'm a mackem.
Them: Say byker grove and why aye mannnn!!
Me: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
GeorgEGNT
Rep:
?
(Original post by jh_1988_england)
there from derby..they dont get out much
but geordie accent is nice though
haha true bless em, poor things :P
GeorgEGNT
Rep:
?
(Original post by lolimemma)
Yeah I get this quite a lot at uni. Thing is I don't even really have a geordie accent!! It's like:
Them: So where are you from?
Me: Newcastle!
Them: OMG Geordie lass!!
Me: Nah I'm a mackem.
Them: Say byker grove and why aye mannnn!!
Me: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I can always tell the difference from a mackam and a geordie, I guess its just if your from round here, and yeah mines evident but not the broadest, but when you move away from the area it must seem so broad cos everyone can always tell.
Howells
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When I met some Scottish people before, and they kept telling me to say 'heaven' and 'seven' because apparently I have a strong Welsh accent :rolleyes: so it's not just the Geordies, honest.
And I always say lush, I thought it was a Welsh thing too
Lacks Organisation
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by GeorgEGNT)
Ok, me and a friend were out last night having a few drinks and whilst we were in the queue at the burger shop we got chatting to some lasses from Derby, and the first thing they said to us was 'say lush!, say lush!' and then a series of other words and phrases followed. The thing is, this has happened before on several occasions, and on facebook I've also noticed a group called 'Yes I'm a geordie, stop asking me to say Byker Grove'.

I find it quite humerous but was just wondering what the whole big deal is about it? I've never in my life seen anyone with any other accent made to say certain dialect etc on demand! lol

Anyone else on here suffered this accent treatment or even subjected anyone to it? Post your stories or views on here!
I actually laughed out loud for about 30 secs!

I live about a two minute drive from where the Arctic Monkeys are from and as such have been asked to do lines from their songs. People can be cruel sometimes... :p:
lolimemma
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can always tell the difference from a mackam and a geordie, I guess its just if your from round here, and yeah mines evident but not the broadest, but when you move away from the area it must seem so broad cos everyone can always tell.

Yeah I guess it does seem broader but I don't have a mackem accent either. I have a really mild geordie accent considering I spent loads of time in Gateshead growing up. I agree that its easy to distinguish mackem from geordie though.

Deep down I love it though coz it always gets me attention as Scottish people seem to LOVE going out in Newcastle :P
GeorgEGNT
Rep:
?
the annoying thing is, the grove isnt in Byker!!!! lol
GeorgEGNT
Rep:
?
(Original post by lolimemma)
Yeah I guess it does seem broader but I don't have a mackem accent either. I have a really mild geordie accent considering I spent loads of time in Gateshead growing up. I agree that its easy to distinguish mackem from geordie though.

Deep down I love it though coz it always gets me attention as Scottish people seem to LOVE going out in Newcastle :P
More specifically... Down the Bay! love it, I live in Whitley Bay like, I'll miss it when I go to uni lol, I'll be back every weekend for the toon matches like so I'll be able to go down for a few when I'm back for them.
lolimemma
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the annoying thing is, the grove isnt in Byker!!!! lol
Was filmed at the Mitre wasn't it?
Lacks Organisation
Report 10 years ago
*Imagines you saying Byker Grove*
LOLZ.
I'm definitely going to ask the next Geordie I see to say it!
Liverpool's Number 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wasn't George the moustachioed owner though?

Anyway Byer Grove pft, Geordie Racer was what the cool kids watched. :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (61)
37.2%
No - but I will (6)
3.66%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.1%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (87)
53.05%

Watched Threads