Fairydust04
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I'm currently studying in my last year of GCSEs I chose Textiles, Geography, BTEC IT, Food Science and Nutrition, swell as the core subjects English Language, English Literature, Triple Science and Maths, all pf which I am predicted 7s and 8s (except from Maths which I'm capped at 5 because I am doing Foundation and for IT I am predicted a Level 2 Distinction). I have never really properly revised ever so i don't know if that is bad or good or both but anyways I am not great... with time management and the motivation to get homework done but in school I am very good at getting the work done.

Anyways I went to the Open Evening at the Sixth Form I would like to attend which is connected to my secondary school and I have come to a slight dilemma on what subjects to choose. I'm not to sure on whether I want to do 3 or 4 and I am not too sure on what want to do when I am older and I don't think I really want to go to university at all but it is too soon to tell but these are the ones I am interested in:
- Environmental Sustainability (Pearson BTEC National Level 3 Diploma) this is new I think or at least to our school it is.
- Food Science and Nutrition (WJEC Specification 601/ 4553/5)
- Geography (AQA Specification 7037)
- Forensic Science (Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma )
- Philosophy and Ethics (OCR Specification H573 A)

Any advice or opinions on any of these subjects and A-Level in general would be really appreciated

Edit* I also forgot to mention that we have subject blocks when we make and application and we have to pick only one option from each block there are 5 block enough for a maximum of 4 options and a reserve I hope this makes sense
Block A - None for me
Block B - Forensic Science
Block C - Environmental Sustainability Single
Block D - Philosophy and Ethics, Environmental Sustainability double, Food Science and Nutrition

So I can only choose one option from Block D which would mean I couldn't take Philosophy and Food.

I also wanted to just add a bit of what I think of the subjects...
- Environmental Sustainability ... I am really passionate about the environment and I think one of the things that makes me question this is the fact that it is such a new subject and I don't really know much about what will be taught. although I feel like there could a future in this for me with a job related to the environment but could is still by taking geography.

- Food Science and Nutrition ... I love cooking I cook nearly every night for dinner for my family, it is something that comes naturally and I have been doing it since I was very young, I am also very interested in the nutrition aspect of things and think I could have a career related to this subject in the future. although one thing I worry about with this subject is as I am vegetarian I'm not really comfortable with cooking meat and fish for many reasons and also I don't eat it so I don't really know know how to cook it, I mean I could but I don't think it would be to a very good standard because I think I would overcook it

- Geography ... I really love geography and I think I am quite good at it I have been consistently getting 8s in it at GCSE although I haven't done my GCSEs yet eeek! But I also really like the teacher who teach this subject and I learn really well from them nothing to say that's bad about this really, unless anyone has taken it and has any negative points on it. I don't really know of many jobs I could get I haven't really researched about jobs tbh but I wouldn't complain if I had to teach the subject when I'm older.

- Forensic Science ... I really like this subject it is something that really interests me and its feels quite fun with all the investigating type stuff but I want to know a little more on and if anyone has taken it what they think of it?

- Philosophy and Ethics ... I think this would be a good subject as I am quite good at rambling on about things I am passionate about although I didn't take it at GCSE and so the teacher said I would have to do a bit of catch up but not that much ( but what is not that much at A-level haha) but again like forensic science I want to know a little more on and if anyone has taken it what they think of it?
Last edited by Fairydust04; 1 week ago
E3student
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fairydust04)
Hi, I'm currently studying in my last year of GCSEs I chose Textiles, Geography, BTEC IT, Food Science and Nutrition, swell as the core subjects English Language, English Literature, Triple Science and Maths, all pf which I am predicted 7s and 8s (except from Maths which I'm capped at 5 because I am doing Foundation and for IT I am predicted a Level 2 Distinction). I have never really properly revised ever so i don't know if that is bad or good or both but anyways I am not great... with time management and the motivation to get homework done but in school I am very good at getting the work done.

Anyways I went to the Open Evening at the Sixth Form I would like to attend which is connected to my secondary school and I have come to a slight dilemma on what subjects to choose. I'm not to sure on whether I want to do 3 or 4 and I am not too sure on what want to do when I am older and I don't think I really want to go to university at all but it is too soon to tell but these are the ones I am interested in:
- Environmental Sustainability (Pearson BTEC National Level 3 Diploma) this is new I think or at least to our school it is.
- Food Science and Nutrition (WJEC Specification 601/ 4553/5)
- Geography (AQA Specification 7037)
- Forensic Science (Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma )
- Philosophy and Ethics (OCR Specification H573 A)

Any advice or opinions on any of these subjects and A-Level in general would be really appreciated
Hi

Doing 4 can sometime be overwhelming and stressful. My friend just started doing 4 a-levels and already has dropped one due to the high work load. So if you can, I'd recommend choosing 3 that you like the most.

Geography would be a good option as its quite open and if you do decide to go to uni then it can be applied to different courses as humanities are good options to take. I've not heard of environmental sustainability before so it must be new.
Maybe start thinking what interests you and what you'd like to be in the future. if you can't decide then id recommend keeping your options open and doing a variety of subjects.
Sportse123456
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Geography, food, Philosophy
Fairydust04
Rep:
?
(Original post by E3student)
Hi

Doing 4 can sometime be overwhelming and stressful. My friend just started doing 4 a-levels and already has dropped one due to the high work load. So if you can, I'd recommend choosing 3 that you like the most.

Geography would be a good option as its quite open and if you do decide to go to uni then it can be applied to different courses as humanities are good options to take. I've not heard of environmental sustainability before so it must be new.
Maybe start thinking what interests you and what you'd like to be in the future. if you can't decide then id recommend keeping your options open and doing a variety of subjects.
Thanks for your thoughts, I definitely agree with you on taking 3 subjects I think 4 would be too much for me, I also think geography is a good option too and I really like the subject so I think that is one that I could choose
Fairydust04
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sportse123456)
Geography, food, Philosophy
I think geography is a good option but unfortunately there is an overlap with philosophy and food in the option blocks : /
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (54)
18.31%
Labour (117)
39.66%
Liberal Democrats (61)
20.68%
Green Party (22)
7.46%
Brexit Party (8)
2.71%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.36%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.69%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)