Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
okay so growing up i wanted to be a vet and my heart was set on that then when i turned 14/15 i was so set on becoming a lawyer and i know it sounds dumb but i was naive back then and literally up until a year ago i thought a lawyer would be and was exactly like annalise keating and i only found out last year that a ‘lawyer’ is not even a job here it’s just a general term so i guess i’d rather be a barrister than a solicitor as i just find working in an office doing paperwork so boring i couldn’t think of anything worse (i know that isn’t what you do 100% of the time) but it’s easier to become a solicitor and more jobs for that etc

then i’ve no idea where it came from as i hated science in school but i fell in love with science and was set on doing a science degree but then i went back to law as nothing except for biochemistry interested me and i would rather be a solicitor but then recently i’ve thought deep and hard about it and researched it etc and i’m not sure why it never occurred to me before but then i became set on doing medicine but then i’m one to be thrown off by things as my family always put me down and so do i and they said i couldn’t be a doctor as i’m this and that etc and told me to go work in a shop they always put me down though so it’s okay and it’s five whole years and that doesn’t put me off but i’m already 23 so i’m way behind my peers as it is so then i went back to law as literally no other degree interests me any advice?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
okay so growing up i wanted to be a vet and my heart was set on that then when i turned 14/15 i was so set on becoming a lawyer and i know it sounds dumb but i was naive back then and literally up until a year ago i thought a lawyer would be and was exactly like annalise keating and i only found out last year that a ‘lawyer’ is not even a job here it’s just a general term so i guess i’d rather be a barrister than a solicitor as i just find working in an office doing paperwork so boring i couldn’t think of anything worse (i know that isn’t what you do 100% of the time) but it’s easier to become a solicitor and more jobs for that etc

then i’ve no idea where it came from as i hated science in school but i fell in love with science and was set on doing a science degree but then i went back to law as nothing except for biochemistry interested me and i would rather be a solicitor but then recently i’ve thought deep and hard about it and researched it etc and i’m not sure why it never occurred to me before but then i became set on doing medicine but then i’m one to be thrown off by things as my family always put me down and so do i and they said i couldn’t be a doctor as i’m this and that etc and told me to go work in a shop they always put me down though so it’s okay and it’s five whole years and that doesn’t put me off but i’m already 23 so i’m way behind my peers as it is so then i went back to law as literally no other degree interests me any advice?
You sound like a massive flip flopper.

What legal work experience or research have you done? Perhaps do some?
What A level grades or level 3 did you get?
Do you realise it is very competitive?
Brooke143
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You should study for a degree you enjoy and don’t need to know what you’re doing as a career yet. If you enjoy law you should do it as a degree, doesn’t mean you have to become a solicitor. Same with biochemistry. If you decide you still want to become a solicitor even if you don’t do a law degree you can do the GDL.
montyr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As above.

Don’t let family tell you what you can or can’t do, do what you find interesting. If you don’t know then try to find out by going to careers fairs and exploring different careers.

It doesn’t come across like law is the career for you based on what you’ve written.

Maybe start by writing a list of the things you love and see what matches up.

I wouldn’t worry about your age, if you want to be a doctor and have the grades then go for it.

Becoming a solicitor might be less competitive than becoming a barrister but (at city firms at least) its still very competitive. If you hate doing paperwork in an office then it isn’t going to be for you and you’ll struggle to convince employers it is...

My old flat mate graduated from medicine at 30.
Last edited by montyr; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (59)
36.65%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (17)
10.56%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (8)
4.97%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (39)
24.22%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
14.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (14)
8.7%

Watched Threads