nic4338282
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm in year 11 deciding my options for a levels and I know for sure I want to study psychology but I am stuck on whether I want to do english lit, english lang or spanish or all three then drop one. I thought I enjoyed english but now i'm reconsidering because although I do enjoy reading and writing I'm not a fan of my school's way of teaching the subject, so I don't know if I'd enjoy it at a higher level. I get 7s,8s and 9s in the mock exams but is doing really well the same as having a passion for it? I don't know if gcses are just taking away from my enjoyment of languages or if I just don't like them.
redmeercat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Could you do English lit/lang? By incorporating it into a single subject you'd be able to do elements of both without overworking yourself. Remember that A level Lang isn't at all like GCSE - it's pretty much linguistics. If I were you, I'd either do the combined English option (if your school teaches it) or choose between the two Englishes because ultimately, both include elements of the other, and give you the skills to do the other better.
redmeercat
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
https://www.cife.org.uk/article/guid...ge-literature/
nic4338282
Rep:
?
(Original post by redmeercat)
Could you do English lit/lang? By incorporating it into a single subject you'd be able to do elements of both without overworking yourself. Remember that A level Lang isn't at all like GCSE - it's pretty much linguistics. If I were you, I'd either do the combined English option (if your school teaches it) or choose between the two Englishes because ultimately, both include elements of the other, and give you the skills to do the other better.
I'll check about the combined option but would it be so bad if I did do both?
redmeercat
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by nic4338282)
I'll check about the combined option but would it be so bad if I did do both?
Not bad if you enjoy them, but I know a lot of people who did a lot of similar subjects and found that they just wanted a break from the same skills on occaision. There is also the workload to consider - if you have books to read for both, how are you going to manage that with your other subject(s)? I know that at GCSE it doesn't seem like A levels will be that much, since you only do a couple of subjects, but they really do make up for the lack of breadth it depth! In my English lit we've read 9 books so far (I'm Y13), so it would be worth considering your reading speed. COuld you ask to sit in on some classes? That might help you to decide.
nic4338282
Rep:
?
Not bad if you enjoy them, but I know a lot of people who did a lot of similar subjects and found that they just wanted a break from the same skills on occaision. There is also the workload to consider - if you have books to read for both, how are you going to manage that with your other subject(s)? I know that at GCSE it doesn't seem like A levels will be that much, since you only do a couple of subjects, but they really do make up for the lack of breadth it depth! In my English lit we've read 9 books so far (I'm Y13), so it would be worth considering your reading speed. COuld you ask to sit in on some classes? That might help you to decide.
I either finish a book really quickly or end up reading it slowly- it just depends really. I think there will be the opportunity to see what the classes are like in the open evenings I'm going to so hopefully it will help! How are you finding english lit?
redmeercat
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I either finish a book really quickly or end up reading it slowly- it just depends really. I think there will be the opportunity to see what the classes are like in the open evenings I'm going to so hopefully it will help! How are you finding english lit?
I really love it at the moment, but I did struggle a bit with a couple of the books, purely because I didn't enjoy them very much. My favourite unit is definitely Shakespeare, but honestly it's all really interesting... there's such a range of genre to study, and the essays allow you to form your own detailed opinions rather than just spurting what the teacher said in class. I'm on AQA, which board would you be doing? (I also do French, History and have done EPQ)
nic4338282
Rep:
?
I really love it at the moment, but I did struggle a bit with a couple of the books, purely because I didn't enjoy them very much. My favourite unit is definitely Shakespeare, but honestly it's all really interesting... there's such a range of genre to study, and the essays allow you to form your own detailed opinions rather than just spurting what the teacher said in class. I'm on AQA, which board would you be doing? (I also do French, History and have done EPQ)
I’d be doing AQA. I’ve noticed that most sixth forms in my area teach tragedy in Shakespeare but one of them teaches comedy. I haven’t really considered doing history but maybe I should, considering I am enjoying it. I guess I’m just intimidated by history at A level!
redmeercat
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’d be doing AQA. I’ve noticed that most sixth forms in my area teach tragedy in Shakespeare but one of them teaches comedy. I haven’t really considered doing history but maybe I should, considering I am enjoying it. I guess I’m just intimidated by history at A level!
I'm doing tragedy (Othello) and honestly, I really love it! There's so much to go into and so many different facets of human identity to consider. If you enjoy analytical writing above language theory and creative writing, pure literature would be the way to go. If not, then combined or language would be better.
nic4338282
Rep:
?
I'm doing tragedy (Othello) and honestly, I really love it! There's so much to go into and so many different facets of human identity to consider. If you enjoy analytical writing above language theory and creative writing, pure literature would be the way to go. If not, then combined or language would be better.
thank you for the help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (99)
70.71%
No I haven't decided yet (26)
18.57%
Yes but I might change my mind (15)
10.71%

Watched Threads