Can I start again next year? Watch

Kdog21
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am very behind on my dissertation even though I have a few weeks left till presentation, I don’t think I will get it. My supervisor who gave me this topic is useless she hasn’t even responded to my last two emails, the head of the module is also useless: when I went to her she just said book a meeting and talk to your supervisor. I’m stressed, I cry all the time, I will never nderstand it and she will not give me any help. I just want to know if I drop out, because it’s way too late to change, can I come back next year? I don’t want a bad grade, and I have no one else to complain to.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Kdog21)
I am very behind on my dissertation even though I have a few weeks left till presentation, I don’t think I will get it. My supervisor who gave me this topic is useless she hasn’t even responded to my last two emails, the head of the module is also useless: when I went to her she just said book a meeting and talk to your supervisor. I’m stressed, I cry all the time, I will never nderstand it and she will not give me any help. I just want to know if I drop out, because it’s way too late to change, can I come back next year? I don’t want a bad grade, and I have no one else to complain to.
I feel like this thread has been made before...

Unless you have extenuating circumstances, you won't be allowed to simply drop out and come back next year for the dissertation portion. Running away from your issues never solved anything, so you need to be proactive. The dissertation is your own work ultimately, so you need to research anything you don't understand.

When you say your supervisor won't give you any help, what do you mean by that exactly? What kind of questions are you asking? How often do you meet with her?

Tbh, it sounds like you are too busy trying to complain to someone, when you should be focusing on studying and filling the gaps in your knowledge. Yes some supervisors aren't particularly supportive, but that doesn't mean you can't do as much as you can yourself. I also suggest that you go to student support to discuss your anxiety and hopefully learn some coping strategies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (82)
73.21%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
16.07%
Yes but I might change my mind (12)
10.71%

Watched Threads