The Student Room Group

Sergeant or Officer?

In some roles of the RAF, sergeants get paid more than officers. However, officer roles have higher requirements for entry. I don't see how this makes sense. Can a sergeant be promoted to an officer? If so how can a promotion lead to a decrease in pay? In 12 years of service, will a sergeant not be able to reach the same rank as an officer? What I'm trying to say is that entering as an officer is a longer and harder process than entering as a sergeant, and with the pay being less aswell, is there a reason to enter as an officer?
Reply 1
Original post by Student879546
In some roles of the RAF, sergeants get paid more than officers. However, officer roles have higher requirements for entry. I don't see how this makes sense. Can a sergeant be promoted to an officer? If so how can a promotion lead to a decrease in pay? In 12 years of service, will a sergeant not be able to reach the same rank as an officer? What I'm trying to say is that entering as an officer is a longer and harder process than entering as a sergeant, and with the pay being less aswell, is there a reason to enter as an officer?

They're different jobs, with different day to day roles and different responsibilities.

The position and pay is a function of those differences.

A Sgt will not, automatically, get promoted to an officer, that's not how the system works.

Which roles? At equivalent time served?

A senior Sergeant or NCO might be paid more than a junior officer, but an NCO and an officer with the same time served, the NCO will be on lower pay. Aircrew Warrant Officer and ground-based Flt Lt might come close, I haven't looked at the pay scales in a while.

There is no automatic progression from Airman to Officer, so a Sergeant will never be an Officer unless they apply and get selected.
Original post by Drewski
They're different jobs, with different day to day roles and different responsibilities.

The position and pay is a function of those differences.

A Sgt will not, automatically, get promoted to an officer, that's not how the system works.

Original post by threeportdrift
Which roles? At equivalent time served?

A senior Sergeant or NCO might be paid more than a junior officer, but an NCO and an officer with the same time served, the NCO will be on lower pay. Aircrew Warrant Officer and ground-based Flt Lt might come close, I haven't looked at the pay scales in a while.

There is no automatic progression from Airman to Officer, so a Sergeant will never be an Officer unless they apply and get selected.

Thank you for your responses.
The role I was specifically looking at is Air Operations Control.
From what I understand, it's better to enter as an officer as the progression possibilities are better and you have more opportunity (so there for the long term benefits are worth it)?
Does one role get deployed more than another?
Would you suggest that if I meet the requirements of officer, it's the better choice?
Thank you for your responses.
The role I was specifically looking at is Air Operations Control.
From what I understand, it's better to enter as an officer as the progression possibilities are better and you have more opportunity (so there for the long term benefits are worth it)?
Does one role get deployed more than another?
Would you suggest that if I meet the requirements of officer, it's the better choice?

You need to do more research about the difference between officer and airman. As an officer, you have additional responsibilities, leadership and the buck stops with you - you have more pay and a longer career. As an Airman, even in a branch that has SNCO entry, it's a skilled role, but there is no ultimate responsibility other than for your hands on performance, you've always got top cover and you've got a shorter career path to Warrant Officer, unless you get commissioned.

Are you a leader or a team player? White collar or blue collar? Manager or shop floor? If you know enough about the roles, you kind of naturally know the answer as to whether you should join as an officer or an airman/SNCO. Very few get it wrong.
Direct entry Sgt controllers are paid more than direct entry Officer controllers purely because of the pay being linked to rank.

The RAF decided Sgt would be the lowest rank a non commissioned controller could be due to the responsibility level, but for every other ground role it takes 10 years to achieve that rank. The pay reflects this experience level. However ATC Sgts don’t have this experience.

Day to day the primary function of every controller in the rank scale Sgt, FS, WO, Fg Off, Flt Lt is to speak to aircraft. The main difference is the officers are expected to take up exec positions within their workplace. Officers effectively have more responsibilities, more admin, go to more meetings, make more decisions on how things may be run etc. Only someone above the rank of FS can supervisor an entire stations flying so if that’s an aim going Officer is the faster path. Though it depends on your controlling ability as to whether you’re like to be an instructor, supervisor or examiner.

Do you want to manage people, do more office based managerial roles, deal with discipline, report writing, orders etc. Or do you want to spend more of your time controlling military aircraft.
(edited 4 years ago)

Hi

Yes, for Air Ops Control (Sergeant) (Formerly SNCO ATC) your starting salary is higher - once you've completed basic training AND NCAITC at Cranwell, as you jump straight up to the rank of Sergeant only a few months after starting service.

The rank of Sergeant is a higher pay than that of a Flying or Pilot Officer coming straight out of IOT, because normally you'll take many years of service to achieve that rank and be paid accordingly. But we look for SNCO direct entrants to show maturity and leadership qualities as they're required for that level.

As an Officer once you reach Flt Lt your pay will be above that of Sgt and you'll go further on each promotion etc. So the higher pay is only for the start. The role is EXACTLY the same, Officer or SNCO at least for the first few years. You'll be controlling aircraft and even as an SNCO you could be in charge of the ATC tower on any given day, depending on the rotation of staff and work required etc.

Yes, you can go for you commission to be an Officer at a later date if you wish. But you won't get 'promoted' to be an Officer, you'll need to apply and go through the same application process, but you will have already done the aptitude tests etc before, so won't do that again.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi

Yes, for Air Ops Control (Sergeant) (Formerly SNCO ATC) your starting salary is higher - once you've completed basic training AND NCAITC at Cranwell, as you jump straight up to the rank of Sergeant only a few months after starting service.

The rank of Sergeant is a higher pay than that of a Flying or Pilot Officer coming straight out of IOT, because normally you'll take many years of service to achieve that rank and be paid accordingly. But we look for SNCO direct entrants to show maturity and leadership qualities as they're required for that level.

As an Officer once you reach Flt Lt your pay will be above that of Sgt and you'll go further on each promotion etc. So the higher pay is only for the start. The role is EXACTLY the same, Officer or SNCO at least for the first few years. You'll be controlling aircraft and even as an SNCO you could be in charge of the ATC tower on any given day, depending on the rotation of staff and work required etc.

Yes, you can go for you commission to be an Officer at a later date if you wish. But you won't get 'promoted' to be an Officer, you'll need to apply and go through the same application process, but you will have already done the aptitude tests etc before, so won't do that again.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Original post by AlphaTango
Direct entry Sgt controllers are paid more than direct entry Officer controllers purely because of the pay being linked to rank.

The RAF decided Sgt would be the lowest rank a non commissioned controller could be due to the responsibility level, but for every other ground role it takes 10 years to achieve that rank. The pay reflects this experience level. However ATC Sgts don’t have this experience.

Day to day the primary function of every controller in the rank scale Sgt, FS, WO, Fg Off, Flt Lt is to speak to aircraft. The main difference is the officers are expected to take up exec positions within their workplace. Officers effectively have more responsibilities, more admin, go to more meetings, make more decisions on how things may be run etc. Only someone above the rank of FS can supervisor an entire stations flying so if that’s an aim going Officer is the faster path. Though it depends on your controlling ability as to whether you’re like to be an instructor, supervisor or examiner.

Do you want to manage people, do more office based managerial roles, deal with discipline, report writing, orders etc. Or do you want to spend more of your time controlling military aircraft.

Thank you guys, that was very useful information. I appreciate it greatly.
Reply 8
Is it possible to have a day ‘work experience’ alongside Air Ops to get a better insight into what the day-to-day job is like?
Original post by Jdod1
Is it possible to have a day ‘work experience’ alongside Air Ops to get a better insight into what the day-to-day job is like?

Ask your nearest RAF Station with aircraft.
Reply 10
Original post by username158373

I expect Direct entry Sgt controllers are older and have much more experience than an new officer. (The army/navy also have some technical roles when the length of experience and qualifications before joining effects pays.)

Latest