Grandparents want to visit university flat Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m the easily embarrassed type and as much as it would be nice to see them, I’d rather they don’t come into my accommodation with all my flatmates around. I’m already very shy and my grandparents- as lovely as they are- would definitely embarrass me... My parents get it and when they came to visit we just met in town to hang out and that was fun, but my grandparents are very insistent. I told them that I’d be happy to see them but maybe in town rather than at the flat because I’m shy and get embarrassed easily, but they are just like “you don’t have to be embarrassed!” Like noooo, I cant persuade them... my flatmates are great but very loud and you know, we’re all typical university students, we’ve got some kinda rude things stuck on the walls and stuff... Nobody has their grandparents over! Even parents never visit the actual flat, my flatmates usually just meet up with family in town... I’ll be so embarrassed with my grandparents over. Doesn’t help I already have social anxiety,I’ll be stressing about everything. My flatmates like to blast our music, shout and stuff. Which is fine, I’m used to it and I love them all, but my grandparents in that atmosphere? I’d die...
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m the easily embarrassed type and as much as it would be nice to see them, I’d rather they don’t come into my accommodation with all my flatmates around. I’m already very shy and my grandparents- as lovely as they are- would definitely embarrass me... My parents get it and when they came to visit we just met in town to hang out and that was fun, but my grandparents are very insistent. I told them that I’d be happy to see them but maybe in town rather than at the flat because I’m shy and get embarrassed easily, but they are just like “you don’t have to be embarrassed!” Like noooo, I cant persuade them... my flatmates are great but very loud and you know, we’re all typical university students, we’ve got some kinda rude things stuck on the walls and stuff... Nobody has their grandparents over! Even parents never visit the actual flat, my flatmates usually just meet up with family in town... I’ll be so embarrassed with my grandparents over. Doesn’t help I already have social anxiety,I’ll be stressing about everything. My flatmates like to blast our music, shout and stuff. Which is fine, I’m used to it and I love them all, but my grandparents in that atmosphere? I’d die...
You don't have to let them in. Meet them in the carpark/at the bus or train station so you're already out of your accommodation when they arrive. Use that as an excuse to give them a tour of the city as opposed to your flat. You're an adult, so you have the right to not let people into your living space if it will make you embarrassed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (98)
70.5%
No I haven't decided yet (26)
18.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (15)
10.79%

Watched Threads