English Lit- 7
English Lan- 6
Maths-9
Science- 7
Bengali-6
Business- 9
ICT- Distinction*
RE- 6
You’re grades are great: very few people get a 9 and getting two 9s, two 7s and two 6s is very good.
Levi.-
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by AHoek10)
You’re grades are great: very few people get a 9 and getting two 9s, two 7s and two 6s is very good.
saying very few people get a 9 is quite relative; i got 8 9s 2 8s and a 7 in my exams but the value is relative to what OP is interested in doing at uni i suppose.
AHoek10
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Levi.-)
saying very few people get a 9 is quite relative; i got 8 9s 2 8s and a 7 in my exams but the value is relative to what OP is interested in doing at uni i suppose.
But only around 3% of students taking that subject exam get a 9 so getting two makes you the best that year in those particular subject. 9s are created to distinguish between very good and excellent students
Levi.-
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by AHoek10)
But only around 3% of students taking that subject exam get a 9 so getting two makes you the best that year in those particular subject. 9s are created to distinguish between very good and excellent students
That 3% of 500k (maths and english entries) is 15000 students. Relative to the original amount it's good but that can only be considered good if you are comparing yourself to the main population rather than a strata of higher achieving students. OPs results being 'good' or not relies entirely on what they want to do and to whom they wish to be compared to. For example in my year getting 2 9s was considered dismal but 5+ was deemed good.
AHoek10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Levi.-)
That 3% of 00k (maths and english entries) is 15000 students. Relative to the original amount it's good but that can only be considered good if you are comparing yourself to the main population rather than a strata of higher achieving students. OPs results being 'good' or not relies entirely on what they want to do and to whom they wish to be compared to. For example in my year getting 2 9s was considered dismal but 5+ was deemed good.

in the top 3% of 100 students or 15000 students is good
Being in the top 3% of 100 students of 15000 students is good, regardless of what they want to do or who they are being compared to. Because that’s how GCSEs work. Doesn’t matter if the rest of the country are dumb: if you do better than them, you get a 9. They asked a simple question: are these grades good? Bottom line is, yes. Because he got two 9s, two 7s, and two 6. Stop being pretentious
BedfordMom
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
The OP title says, “Are my grades good for a gcse year 9 student?” So clearly they are comparing themself to the main population, but don’t let that stop you showing off.
Levi.-
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by BedfordMom)
The OP title says, “Are my grades good for a gcse year 9 student?” So clearly they are comparing themself to the main population, but don’t let that stop you showing off.
'For a year 9 student' is incredibly vague and doesn't necessarily suggest they want to be correlated to their whole cohort; I may be wrong but the idea that their grades are only good if they match or exceed their ambitions would probably be accurate. P
BedfordMom
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Nothing vague about it. Dept for Education measure schools (amongst other things) on students achieving five GCSEs (or equivalent Level 2 qualifications) including Maths and English Language at grade 4/C or above.It’s a simple question asking how their own results compare in that respect. Not forgetting there is still time for lots of improvement as they are in year 9. If OP got those results in their final GCSEs they will have a choice of very many good universities. A follow on query might then be what do you want to do? But you’re in a haste to boast about your own results and assert superiority over OP whose results you want to demean. Unfortunately your 9s do not include a subject in humility and emotional intelligence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

If this is your first time voting in an election, will Brexit be a big factor for you?

Yes (5)
62.5%
No (3)
37.5%

Watched Threads