India722
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have to pick my gcse options soon and I have seen that edexcel offers an astronomy gcse. My school doesn't offer it however I was thinking of doing it in my own time. I know the course hasn't been running for long so I can't find much information on it and I was just wondering if anyone had done it and how they found it. Thanks
Purplerhino
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi ! We were offered to do the GCSE at school and I sat the exam last year (I got a 9). I thought it was really interesting !! but I did notice there were few resources (no real textbook) and the old spec questions were just content based while new spec questions involved some problem solving and application too. In your case though, I think you'll have enough 9-1 past papers and there are now more practice qs available.
I would say look at the specification on the Edexcel website to see if you'll enjoy the topics! Feel free to ask me any more questions you have xx
Kryptonitekid43
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There’s an astronomy GCSE?! TF the education system has screwed me over again I would have done that
Last edited by Kryptonitekid43; 1 week ago
Emiluu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You get an astronomy gcse???? Lucky, if I did GCSEs I’d pick it.
India722
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emiluu)
You get an astronomy gcse???? Lucky, if I did GCSEs I’d pick it.
I didn’t know it existed until not long ago. Just wish it was an actual option at school so I could do it then instead of in my own time. I was thinking of doing an extra anyway though so I don’t really mind.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by India722)
Thanks so much! I have looked at the specification and it does look really interesting. I also noticed that there is no real textbook so just wondering what you used? Xx
There's a textbook on Amazon, it's alright. I did Astronomy GCSE as an extra-curricular activity, I got an A from cramming the info in the week leading up to the written exam - probably also because my controlled assessment was a bit mediocre.
The subject is pretty reliant on you just memorising information, although that was the old spec so I can't comment on the new spec really.
I did mention it on my personal statement (in particular the cosmology aspect of it) when I applied to do physics at uni so that's one benefit.
India722
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kryptonitekid43)
There’s an astronomy GCSE?! TF the education system has screwed me over again I would have done that
I know, I’m so glad I found out about it. I was just looking at my different options on different Exam board websites and I saw it
India722
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Purplerhino)
Hi ! We were offered to do the GCSE at school and I sat the exam last year (I got a 9). I thought it was really interesting !! but I did notice there were few resources (no real textbook) and the old spec questions were just content based while new spec questions involved some problem solving and application too. In your case though, I think you'll have enough 9-1 past papers and there are now more practice qs available.
I would say look at the specification on the Edexcel website to see if you'll enjoy the topics! Feel free to ask me any more questions you have xx
Thanks so much! I have looked at the specification and it does look really interesting. I also noticed that there is no real textbook so just wondering what you used? Xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (75)
18.7%
Labour (161)
40.15%
Liberal Democrats (86)
21.45%
Green Party (30)
7.48%
Brexit Party (12)
2.99%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.5%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.25%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)