Should we all try to waste less food? Watch

Have Your Say
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Gordon Brown has called on Britons to waste less food and think about what they buy to help reduce demand. Can we all do more to save food?

Speaking en route to the G8 summit the prime minister said that a global plan was needed to combat rising food prices, including boosting production and reducing unnecessary demand.

Mr Brown said the G8 would discuss how leaders can help "Africa realise its great potential as a food producer" - doubling production of key foodstuffs within a decade.

A government study to be published on Monday reveals that Britons waste over 4m tonnes of food every year at a cost of over £400 to every household in the country.

Is Mr Brown right to urge people to take action? Should we all be more careful? Has your food bill shot up recently? Do you have any suggestions for wasting less food?
manderlay in flames
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If your aim is to maximise your own pleasure and your altruism, by any measure there are far better solutions than to change your diet.
nuttygirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I just saw that article on the BBC News website Oh, yeah!

Anyway, yeah, it make sense. Don't waste as much so the money you save can be used for other things. It probably won't make much of an effect though.
RyanT
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This just shocked me into silence. Perhaps this is applicable for well off people in London or something but he doesn't get it - many of us don't have the money to waste food to begin with.

How out of touch is this ****? Does he seriously think people have that much money in places such as the westcountry?!!!
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by RyanT)
This just shocked me into silence. Perhaps this is applicable for well off people in London or something but he doesn't get it - many of us don't have the money to waste food to begin with.
How out of touch is this ****? Does he seriously think people have that much money in places such as the westcountry?!!!
Ditto. As a student I have £10/week for food. I'd go hungry if I threw any of it away.
Kater Murr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by evil groove)
Ditto. As a student I have £10/week for food. I'd go hungry if I threw any of it away.
Well, perhaps his comments aren't directed at students...

Yes, I think most people could do with being a little more frugal.
shootbangfire
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it's a greater problem in terms of supermarkets dumping food. Although I think what they do is a bit gross, "freegans" live on thrown out food which is thrown out for minor faults and is usually fine. That's where Brown should be targeting, not kids who leave a bit of pasta on the side of their plate.
anonymous1432
Badges: 7
Report 10 years ago
40% of food is wasted in the production process. Maybe he should look at that first.
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kater Murr)
Well, perhaps his comments aren't directed at students...

Yes, I think most people could do with being a little more frugal.
They're not directed at just students.
Aemiliana
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think that those that do waste food should, I know I do a lot ATM, but normally I wouldn't.

Also, shootbangfire is right, supermarkets need to do some of the work too.
Kater Murr
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They're not directed at just students.
Oh, just get off your high horse. It's a general statement about the British public; there will be some students that have money to waste on food (or don't mind getting into debt), and even more families will. Telling people that you don't have the money to waste doesn't mean a thing.
anonymous1432
Badges: 7
Report 10 years ago
I must admit, my family wastes a fair amount of food. Just this minute I have thrown away 3/4 of a 4 quid cheesecake because nobody bothered to finish it off, and it all went soggy.

Were not especially well-off but I think many families could benefit from being a bit more economic regarding food.
RyanT
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh, just get off your high horse. It's a general statement about the British public; there will be some students that have money to waste on food (or don't mind getting into debt), and even more families will. Telling people that you don't have the money to waste doesn't mean a thing.
The point is he is using it as a base to deflect criticism of rising living costs by blaming the public for being "wasteful". The point you're missing is that the sections of society who are complaining loudest about rising living costs are those who live on the margin - and they do not have money to waste in the first place, not just students either - both of my parents have similar disposable incomes to me (a student).
blahbloo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think everyone should try to use less food. My grandmother was talking about how they used to save food by keeping the leftovers for the next day and re-use it to make something else. She still does it to this day. We need to adopt some of the actions from the WW2 Era if we're to be more frugal. :p: I also think we need to stop buying processed foods as well, you can't exactly really re-use them again the next day.

I do admit that my family wastes a bit, but all of it is just small leftovers from dinner and such.
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Woah I touched a nerve, obviously You're not even at uni yet anyway, you've never had to budget. Mummy buys your food. And who says I don't have the money to waste on food? Not I. I was saying that what I (choose to) spend on food (£10) would not allow any wastage. Maybe the rest of the public who Brown was addressing should take the same line of thought.

The way you're talking it's like you see wastage as a sign of affluence or privilege. In fact, it is simply one of bad-planning, or worse.
Kater Murr
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Woah I touched a nerve, obviously You're not even at uni yet anyway, you've never had to budget. Mummy buys your food. And who says I don't have the money to waste on food? Not I. I was saying that what I (choose to) spend on food (£10) would not allow any wastage. Maybe the rest of the public who Brown was addressing should take the same line of thought.

The way you're talking it's like you see wastage as a sign of affluence or privilege. In fact, it is simply one of bad-planning, or worse.
Sorry, you have no idea about my home situation - don't get personal.
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't tell me to dismount a horse, then. Do you care to address any of the points made, or shall we just continue being immature?
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I must admit my family wastes food. Normally what happens is someone puts something at the back of the cupboard/fridge & it isn't found until its well out of date. In 2003 my parents had a big clear out of food in the cupboard. Some of it had gone out of date in 1998. We always end up with some food being thrown out though because food comes, generally in even numbers or is big enough to feed 4-6 people, e.g. a whole chicken or a pack of chicken legs & there are 3 of us. If the cleaner is coming the next day she gets the 4th portion, if not we do try and use the leftovers for soup or my mum has it in a sandwhich, but sometimes we just have to throw it away. We have started putting food waste into a green recycling bin though.
Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It seems common sense not to waste food.
Gren1TI
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Prince Charles wastes 7 organic free-range eggs a day. Maybe he can begin saving food.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (249)
38.97%
No - but I will (44)
6.89%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.36%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (299)
46.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed