The Student Room Group

Plagiarism? Am i in trouble.

In second year of BTEC and , i've checked my email today to see if any updates came from school. I just received an email about 15 minutes ago telling me that my work and someone else's is strikingly similar and i am being referred to for plagiarism.

Now the thing is i have not copied the other person in any way whatsoever, i have always completed my work first and never the other way round. The other person who got caught up in this is a bit lazy and albeit doesn't do their work on time and always asks for others work, i thought they were using this work for guidance as some other friends of mine have for the past year and they or me never got in trouble.

However, now i am in trouble and i don't know what the consequences here are. Will i be in trouble for plagiarism if i prove that i didn't copy? I have email logs showing i always sent him the work. But i'm not too sure if i'll get in trouble for plagiarism from sending someone else my work.

Any replies would be appreciated ASAP as the verdict on this situation will come down tommorow.
Original post by konstanton
In second year of BTEC and , i've checked my email today to see if any updates came from school. I just received an email about 15 minutes ago telling me that my work and someone else's is strikingly similar and i am being referred to for plagiarism.

Now the thing is i have not copied the other person in any way whatsoever, i have always completed my work first and never the other way round. The other person who got caught up in this is a bit lazy and albeit doesn't do their work on time and always asks for others work, i thought they were using this work for guidance as some other friends of mine have for the past year and they or me never got in trouble.

However, now i am in trouble and i don't know what the consequences here are. Will i be in trouble for plagiarism if i prove that i didn't copy? I have email logs showing i always sent him the work. But i'm not too sure if i'll get in trouble for plagiarism from sending someone else my work.

Any replies would be appreciated ASAP as the verdict on this situation will come down tommorow.

It is possible that you may get into some trouble about sending someone else your work, this won't be as much trouble as the copier though. It also depends on how large of a piece of work this is, an important piece may result in a larger punishment. However, if you somehow show that you thought that he would just use it for guidance it is possible you wouldn't be in as much trouble, but showing it will be difficult.
Reply 2
Original post by yankang.qi
It is possible that you may get into some trouble about sending someone else your work, this won't be as much trouble as the copier though. It also depends on how large of a piece of work this is, an important piece may result in a larger punishment. However, if you somehow show that you thought that he would just use it for guidance it is possible you wouldn't be in as much trouble, but showing it will be difficult.

First off, thanks for the reply its quite assuring.
secondly, I did send it to him as guidance alongside a couple other people in my friendship group and have the emails to show i sent it to them. In more than a year of studying and sending my work, i haven't had a problem with them plagiarising as all of them have been using it as guidance. Do you think that the email i sent can be used as evidence that the work is mine?

The person in charge of giving the verdict on plagiarism knows that i, not to sound cocky, am a very capable student and in my writing i am a lot more capable than the other person so hopefully proving the work is mine shouldn't be too hard as there's a BIG gap in the kind of intellect that we have and therefore the writing,
First off, thanks for the reply its quite assuring.
secondly, I did send it to him as guidance alongside a couple other people in my friendship group and have the emails to show i sent it to them. In more than a year of studying and sending my work, i haven't had a problem with them plagiarising as all of them have been using it as guidance. Do you think that the email i sent can be used as evidence that the work is mine?

The person in charge of giving the verdict on plagiarism knows that i, not to sound cocky, am a very capable student and in my writing i am a lot more capable than the other person so hopefully proving the work is mine shouldn't be too hard as there's a BIG gap in the kind of intellect that we have and therefore the writing,

To be honest, it sounds like that you should be fine if that's what the person thinks, it sounds like it is understood that you didn't copy. If it does come up, it would be useful to have the emails at hand to show.
At my sixth form, if you were caught copying, both you and the person you copied from would be in trouble (its against the rules to give your work to someone else under any circumstances really, in case they do copy). But that doesn't really sound like it would be an issue in your school/college/situation.

be honest that's all you can do. Tell the truth show the proof. You didn't plagiarise so show them that. Nothing else you can do
Reply 5
Thank you guys, i'll see how it goes tomorrow!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending