Uni College Birmingham rep?Birmingham College of Watch

sarah_wang1986
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
i have got the offer in the MSc Hospitality with tourism management in this school and another one in Msc Media management in the uni of glasgow.

which one should i choose?

and the ranking in the website of timeonline:
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/...ub=19&x=18&y=5

the third one "birmingham" in the hospitality, leisure, sports, tourism... stands for the uni of birmingham or the uni college birmingham?
i am puzzled...
dghaethjsyujwse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Uni College Birmingham is part of the University of Birmingham. They have completely separate campuses and are a few miles apart but students from both are allowed and encouraged to utilise facilities of both. University College Birmingham has a great reputation for anything to do with leisure / hopitality / tourism but I can't really advise you on Glasgow I'm afraid!
HJV
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ditz2810)
Uni College Birmingham is part of the University of Birmingham. They have completely separate campuses and are a few miles apart but students from both are allowed and encouraged to utilise facilities of both. University College Birmingham has a great reputation for anything to do with leisure / hopitality / tourism but I can't really advise you on Glasgow I'm afraid!
I highly doubt that Birmingham College of Food and Tourism ("University College Birmingham) is a part of Uni. of Birmingham. It does not say anything like that on their website. Where did you get that from?

Of the two the OP mentioned, I'd definitely take Glasgow. Glasgow is one of the oldest universities in the UK (I think 3rd or 4th oldest) and a prestigious university, while Uni College Birmingham is a new, unproven institution that has not established any sort of real reputation.
dghaethjsyujwse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by HJV)
I highly doubt that Birmingham College of Food and Tourism ("University College Birmingham) is a part of Uni. of Birmingham. It does not say anything like that on their website. Where did you get that from?
It does actually say on their website that they are "A College accredited by the University of Birmingham". As a student at the University of Birmingham, with friends at UCB it is also a known fact.
HJV
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ditz2810)
It does actually say on their website that they are "A College accredited by the University of Birmingham". As a student at the University of Birmingham, with friends at UCB it is also a known fact.
That doesn't mean that it's a part of it.

It's a separate institution and UB's reputation isn't related to UCB's reputation.
dghaethjsyujwse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by HJV)
That doesn't mean that it's a part of it.

It's a separate institution and UB's reputation isn't related to UCB's reputation.
I did not say that their reputations were related. Perhaps I shouldn't have said "part of" but I meant this in the sense that most facilities and amenities for either university are available to students from both. UCB does have a fantastic reputation for the sort of course the OP is interested in and is accredited by the University of Birmingham as itdoes not hold these courses itself.
sarah_wang1986
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
many thanks for the explaination of both of you.(*^__^*)
i have another offer in the MSc Media Management of the uni of glasgow. maybe i will go there.

i donot like too many chinese students in a class. i think that is not good for my english.
Briar_Rose65
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
University College Birmingham offers courses accredited by Birmingham University - I should know - that what my degree certificate says - LOL

This also means that the degrees have to live up to the same standards of courses offered by UB.

The facilities of both are open to students at either location if you get an access card from your home library.

The language facilities at UCB are fantastic as there are not just chinese students - if you are looking to do Hospitality or anything to do with Tourism, you can't really go any better - unless you get an offer from the School of Services from Bournemouth. I nearly decided to go there to do a studentship but it involved 6 hours of travel a day:rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
7%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.63%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (256)
47.15%

Watched Threads