Frostiique
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey guys, I’m in year 11 and I would like to do well in my GCSEs. I also have mocks coming up which I should start revising for but the problem is I’m not really sure how to revise. I have been looking online and have read various things. For example, some people have said to write condensed notes from the textbook and then make flash cards, while I’ve seen other people say that making notes out of the textbook is not effective. I’m really confused on how to revise and any help would be appreciated! Thanks guys!
yankang.qi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It really depends on what works for you, I find that rewriting the textbook works really well for me at GCSE and A level. You should try it out and see if you find that you learn stuff. Flashcards are normally a good thing as you can test yourself often and for short periods of time, consolidating the knowledge you have already learnt.
A key part to revision though is that you must to past paper questions, this will help you to learn what the examiners are looking for and what gives you marks. This is probably the most important thing for anyone to do.
willmacd
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I always make condensed notes from the textbook to start of with. Mind maps and past papers help as well
Frostiique
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by yankang.qi)
It really depends on what works for you, I find that rewriting the textbook works really well for me at GCSE and A level. You should try it out and see if you find that you learn stuff. Flashcards are normally a good thing as you can test yourself often and for short periods of time, consolidating the knowledge you have already learnt.
A key part to revision though is that you must to past paper questions, this will help you to learn what the examiners are looking for and what gives you marks. This is probably the most important thing for anyone to do.
Hey, great tips thanks so much! I was wondering where I could find practice questions and worksheets for each topic, as I would like to save the proper past papers for closer to my exams when I have revised all of my content. Thanks again!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (99)
70.71%
No I haven't decided yet (26)
18.57%
Yes but I might change my mind (15)
10.71%

Watched Threads