Foundation Courses? Watch

TI-84
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I have a few questions regarding these foundation courses that universities offer. Just to make things clear about the foundation course, I believe it is tagged with the degree course at the university, so a mech eng foundation course has a year 0 + 3 years of usual degree courses, right??
Also Is it possible to get into a foundation course through clearing?? On top of that, I'm not sure whether I'm eligible for a foundation course or not :p: i've just taken the IB, while I passed I didn't do spectacularly(i.e. didn't get into firm or insurance) and am Under 18, if it helps, the particular foundation course i was thinking of is:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/foundation.cent...cience/accfin/

an accounting & finance foundation course at Durham, wherein it says:
Applicants with pending or recent qualifications: Applicants who have successfully completed qualifications in inappropriate subjects for their chosen degree programme (e.g. A-level, BTEC, NVQ, Degree, etc.) may use the Social Science Programme as a conversion course.

• The Social Science Programme is not suitable for current A-level students or those who have failed at A-level study within the last year.

which isn't very clear as such :p:
and finally if I actually do a foundation year, and get a degree from Durham, per se, does it affect your employment status??
thanks in advance for your responses
shuvle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TI-84)
I believe it is tagged with the degree course at the university, so a mech eng foundation course has a year 0 + 3 years of usual degree courses, right??
thats right, you, start one year 0 and once you pass (get 40%+) your foundation year you are able to go onto year 1.

(Original post by TI-84)
Also Is it possible to get into a foundation course through clearing??
Its possible. If you have a list of courses you want to do, on results day, you can phone around asking if they have any places in clearing. Also check the clearing listings, though I'm not sure if they have foundation course on there.

(Original post by TI-84)
i've just taken the IB, while I passed I didn't do spectacularly
Don't worry, the entry for foundaton years tend to be lower than the actual course anyway.

(Original post by TI-84)
I am Under 18
Different universitys have different rules. Your best of emailing them to find out

(Original post by TI-84)
finally if I actually do a foundation year, and get a degree from Durham, per se, does it affect your employment status??
thanks in advance for your responses
No. If anything it will show your determination

I did the engineering foundation course at cardiff btw.

Feel free to ask me any more questions, and rep me for giving such a helpful post
shuvle
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
grrr who Neg repped me?!?!? Thats the last time I give something back to TSR.

Sorry for asking for rep.. I just wanted a shiney gem so bad, I was so close, now I'm so far away
TI-84
Rep:
?
lol thanks so much for the help !
ps: i didn't neg-rep you.

+rep given =)
shuvle
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
just got your PM.

From my experience about 1/3 of the course was international students, so most arn't international students. I think the foundation course are popular with international students because they need to do it to convert, or thier English language isn't up to speed.

Really the best advice I can give you is to email the departments that your interested in, this is the only way you can get definate answer because foundation courses differ so much across unis.
TI-84
Rep:
?
okay thanks.
TI-84
Rep:
?
funny thing is though, ive scoured all universities and 90% of them seem to have the foundation courses *only* for intl students.
and those that dont only offer it for engineering(and im interested in accounting & Finance) and I would have to go through the whole UCAS app system for them.
meh.
shuvle
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've had a few friends phone up the addmissions office at the university (all be it not a great university) and gain a place. This may be worth a try rather going through ucas again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (467)
38.06%
No - but I will (95)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (87)
7.09%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (578)
47.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed