The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

How dated does late 90s/2000s fashion look in 2019?

Unlike 1980s fashion, which looked very dated by the mid 1990s, I don't personally find that fashion from the late 90s and 2000s looks too dated today, because you can still buy clothing that looks like it's from that era. It's just that what was in fashion then is no longer fashionable to wear, but most of it doesn't look especially out of place today in my opinion. I think a lot of 90s and 2000s fashion was fairly plain anyway and so it doesn't really date much, although fashionable clothing wasn't as tight as in the 2010s. There are a few late 90s trends though that do look quite dated, in particular sparkly female Y2K fashion (got that term from Wikipedia).

Would you agree with me on late 90s and 2000s fashion or not?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RJDG14
Unlike 1980s fashion, which looked very dated by the mid 1990s, I don't personally find that fashion from the late 90s and 2000s looks too dated today, because you can still buy clothing that looks like it's from that era. It's just that what was in fashion then is no longer fashionable to wear, but most of it doesn't look especially out of place today in my opinion. I think a lot of 90s and 2000s fashion was fairly plain anyway and so it doesn't really date much, although fashionable clothing wasn't as tight as in the 2010s. There are a few late 90s trends though that do look quite dated, in particular sparkly female Y2K fashion (got that term from Wikipedia).

Would you agree with me on late 90s and 2000s fashion or not?

looks a little dated for me. people these days would be wearing hoodies (which i LOVE), joggers, vans, leggings, designer clothes etc
previous decades before had very recognisable and stylistic clothes, music, films, even accent to some extent. And there was a time literature, classical music and architecture was amazing, which maybe peaked in 19th century and dropped off in mid 20th century. Things have become plainer and less different, like culturally we have run out of ideas. maybe I'm wrong..
Original post by aciana
previous decades before had very recognisable and stylistic clothes, music, films, even accent to some extent. And there was a time literature, classical music and architecture was amazing, which maybe peaked in 19th century and dropped off in mid 20th century. Things have become plainer and less different, like culturally we have run out of ideas. maybe I'm wrong..

agreed
Think for women's clothing in particular it is having somewhat of a revival in some circles but I personally dont like how it looks because to me I do think it is dated
Reply 5
Original post by username2816962
Think for women's clothing in particular it is having somewhat of a revival in some circles but I personally dont like how it looks because to me I do think it is dated

In some aspects fashion does seem to have been moving slightly towards a Y2K feel in the past couple of years, although thin eyebrows are something that so far doesn't seem to have come back into fashion.