ella.ab
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
heyyy so I wanna pick biology and chemistry for a level as I want to be a dentist. the thing is, u don’t have to do maths as a thru option but it is required in some unis to do dentistry. currently at gcse im achieving grade six. I feel as if I will fail
maths at a level, so I should do english lit. i’m good at english lit but will it decrease my chance of being able to study dentistry at a good uni?
MIRIMOO
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You are right, having maths will open up more opportunities for you than english lit. Most academic programmes require you to do maths
I too thought i was going to fail ( I jumped in a 3 months from a 5 to an 8) but you have months left, just keep doing practice papers more than once, don't give up just yet.
If you do fail or you really don't like maths, you can always switch in the first weeks or if possible do four subjects
Chinggis
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I do chemistry, biology and maths at A level, and honestly? Maths is the easy one.
You can always switch options at enrolment if you decide to do maths but if you are more likely to get the grades needed if you do English, do that.
You are more likely to get in with an AAA than an AAC.
Dentistry do like 2 sciences and a maths, and with limited places they will prefer if you had maths, but a good UCAT score and the grades will probably get you in.
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
if you don't like maths, then i wouldn't take it for a level. there'll be dentistry courses in this country that don't ask for a level maths. better to pick a subject you enjoy- so if you like english more, pick that.
you could always do both maths and english lit (totally unbiased) for a few weeks so you can decide which one you enjoy more. as someone who's doing maths and english lit at a level, maths i find easier to revise for but i find them both difficult; english lit slightly more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (113)
64.57%
No (62)
35.43%

Watched Threads