Jobs without time pressure Watch

TheEntertainer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
If for some reason (personality, health, etc.) one had serious difficulties in meeting deadlines, but is generally very good at everything else for that specific job, what kind of jobs, in what areas, would be best for such person?

Freelancing?
Academic research?
Theo1977
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you can't be trusted to meet deadlines, it means you can't really be trusted to get the job done.

The ability to meet deadlines is even more important in freelance work, because you're still working for someone on a specific project - and if you fail to deliver by the time agreed, they won't use you again.

Even academic research is likely to have deadlines, or partners to work with, etc etc. The only job where deadlines really won't matter is for writing your first book - and if you're lucky enough for that one to take off, you're likely to have deadlines for any subsequent books!
moley
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can't think of any graduate type jobs that don't have deadlines. Even writing your first book you'll either have to have done it by a certain point in order to earn money, or be in another job at the same time, unless you have enough savings to support yourself indefinitely.

I guess it depends on what situation you have in mind, but you really have to try and train yourself and your ability to organise well in order to avoid missing deadlines.
starry skies
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TheEntertainer)
If for some reason (personality, health, etc.) one had serious difficulties in meeting deadlines.
By "personality" do you mean "can't be arsed"? I can understand struggling with subject matter or volume of work, but as others have said ALL jobs require you to get things done within a certain timeframe.

Re authorial deadlines, was it Douglas Adams who said: "I love deadlines, especially the sound they make as they go whooshing past"?!
TheEntertainer
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Well, I think this will be my doom...

By personality I mean that when I have to do a task I usually fully dedicate myself towards doing it well rather than in a hurry. When I feel that I have to do it "by xxx hours or days" I don't do it well.

The main issue is health though. I must often go to Physical Therapy, appointments, sometimes I cannot even move from home - or generally move too much.
I think I really need a job where I can give a large if not most priority in scheduling to my health.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (260)
38.92%
No - but I will (45)
6.74%
No - I don't want to (49)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (314)
47.01%

Watched Threads