The Student Room Group

biomed and then dentistry

Hi, I am planning on doing Biomed at uni. I'm just wondering if after Biomed, do I able to apply for undergrad dentistry or postgrad dentistry?
Both. although post grad will be very hard to get into.
but UG you will need to pay fees yourself.
Original post by roxyyyyyyyyy
Hi, I am planning on doing Biomed at uni. I'm just wondering if after Biomed, do I able to apply for undergrad dentistry or postgrad dentistry?

Trust me I was in the same position as you three years ago and chose to do Biomed instead and regretted at the end. I ended up getting a 1st class but graduate dentistry is so hard even with having top academics. Now I am doing a masters and reapplying for dentistry for third time!
I would suggest to do a gap year and if you do not gain entry then to consider an alternative course.
Graduate Entry Dentistry is an undergradute course. Postgraduate dentistry is what qualified dentists can do.
Reply 4
Original post by Sara1498
Trust me I was in the same position as you three years ago and chose to do Biomed instead and regretted at the end. I ended up getting a 1st class but graduate dentistry is so hard even with having top academics. Now I am doing a masters and reapplying for dentistry for third time!
I would suggest to do a gap year and if you do not gain entry then to consider an alternative course.

Thank you so much for your reply. I honestly don't know what to do.
How was Biomed for you, did you enjoy the course?
What unis did you apply for and why is it so hard to get into dentistry with top grades like what else are they looking for?
Reply 5
h

Original post by CartoonSoldier
Both. although post grad will be very hard to get into.
but UG you will need to pay fees yourself.

ahh thank you so much.
Reply 6
Original post by Tonic Water
Graduate Entry Dentistry is an undergradute course. Postgraduate dentistry is what qualified dentists can do.

Thank you, it makes sense now.
Original post by roxyyyyyyyyy
Thank you so much for your reply. I honestly don't know what to do.
How was Biomed for you, did you enjoy the course?
What unis did you apply for and why is it so hard to get into dentistry with top grades like what else are they looking for?

Biomed was not too bad overall but Russell group unis emphasize a lot on research and there was a lot of self-directed learning. Dentistry is more hands-on.
This year I applied to Bristol, Cardiff, QUB and Queen Mary.
I think most unis give a lot of emphasis on UCAT rather than grades.
My UCAT all times was below 600:frown:
Did you apply this year as well?
Hi I'm in the same position as you, biomed then hoping to do dentistry. I am just wondering what masters you applied to? I'm not sure which would be most helpful for dentistry.
Original post by shimmyjilly
Hi I'm in the same position as you, biomed then hoping to do dentistry. I am just wondering what masters you applied to? I'm not sure which would be most helpful for dentistry.

Hi and thanks for your reply!:smile:
I am doing masters in Nutrition and Food Science. Are you applying for Dentistry too next year?
Original post by aspireddentist
Hi and thanks for your reply!:smile:
I am doing masters in Nutrition and Food Science. Are you applying for Dentistry too next year?

I applied this year but got rejected :frown: so I'm going to reapply next year and I just wasn't sure what I wanted to do for the next year (masters or work). I've been looking into a masters in Dental Public Health but just was not too sure what would be best.

I applied this year but got rejected :frown: so I'm going to reapply next year and I just wasn't sure what I wanted to do for the next year (masters or work). I've been looking into a masters in Dental Public Health but just was not too sure what would be best.

Oh. Where did you apply? I applied to Bristol, Cardiff, Barts and Belfast and only got an interview from the last two.
Nutrition master is good too cause there are lots of opportunities you can do with the degree. :wink:
Original post by aspireddentist

Oh. Where did you apply? I applied to Bristol, Cardiff, Barts and Belfast and only got an interview from the last two.
Nutrition master is good too cause there are lots of opportunities you can do with the degree. :wink:

I applied for all of the Graduate entry courses, not sure why as my UCAT was very average. I also applied to birmingham but got rejected by most because of my UCAT score. I had an interview at UCLAN but got rejected after that. What uni did you go to?
I applied for all of the Graduate entry courses, not sure why as my UCAT was very average. I also applied to birmingham but got rejected by most because of my UCAT score. I had an interview at UCLAN but got rejected after that. What uni did you go to?

That is so bad they place so much emphasis on UCAT. I got rejected from most unis two years now due to this.:frown:
I am waiting for my interview outcome from Belfast and Barts.
I am going to Reading uni for my masters and did my undergrad in Southampton. How about you?
Reply 14
Original post by username4937028

I know this is an old post but its literally just so wrong so couldn't ignore.

graduate entry dentistry is 4 year course for people that have aleady got a degree, whether thats dental therapy hygiene, biomed, or even geography/english
Whereas undergrad dentistry is for anyone without a degree, so school leavers or whoever else

Quick Reply

Latest