Red_Revolver
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I would like to study medicine, so i know i will have to pick bio and chem but am not sure about what third subject i should pick or if i should do 4 subjects.Is maths compulsory for medicine or just recommended.Im conflicted between eng lit and geography but i would like to know other subjects that many prestigious unis (Imperial/UCL,maybe Oxbridge) would like to see in an application for medicine.
RAB2018
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Maths will definitely make chem and bio a bit easier but if you really don't want to take it you should definitely think twice about it because it's a demanding course, as all A-levels are, and if your hearts not in it it'll be even harder. Some unis might require it though and if you really want to study medicine I imagine it'd be worth having it in the long run. The best thing to do would be to look at some uni entry requirements for a few different courses to get an idea of what they expect. As for doing four subjects, it's very difficult, some people manage it, a lot don't, I started doing four but dropped down to three at the start of my second year because I just wasn't enjoying it any more, maybe start with four if there are four subjects you really want to study but keep in mind that unis only look at your top three.
Apad121
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Maths would definitely help make your application seem stronger especially for the top unis you stated there.

It is definitely possible to do 4 subjects. I personally did 5 A levels in Year 12 with Maths, Further maths, physics, Chemistry and Biology. Don't be put off by what RAB2018 said, what I think they are saying is that it depends on the person? I didn't find five a levels ridiculous to be honest but I have decided to stick with 4 by dropping biology because I wanted to focus on admissions tests preparation. I had 5 A* predicted grades anyway though.

Hope this helps!

Dm me if you would like to ask for anything or for study advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (113)
64.57%
No (62)
35.43%

Watched Threads