Unsatisfied with my degree, feeling trapped Watch

EthanSpiderboy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm currently in my 2nd year of a 3 year physics degree. I'm not enjoying it at all and I'm falling behind and feeling depressed every day because of it. I should be doing Computer Science, but my uni won't let me switch. I want to be a game programmer, and I know physics will get me there but it's causing me so many problems right now it doesn't seem worth it.

I don't know what to do; I can't change my degree at this uni and I don't particularly want to change uni and go through freshers and halls and all that again in an alien city again. I just want to go into work now but I doubt any company would want me seems how, even though I have good knowledge in many languages I don't really have a portfolio to show myself off. I feel like I'm useless and wasting time and money and completely unprepared for any choice I could make now.
Pilgrim788
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I do CS and I wouldn't recommend it if you want to program games because a lot of it will be super unnecessary to you.

But there's a creative uni called SAE in London (which I'm hoping is commutable for you, and their freshers is literally one day). You can take a 2-year course (it's squashed so its three years in two so you only pay for 2 years) in specifically games-programming. And you only go in twice a week, so maybe you can get some work experience in your days off. Hope this helps.
EthanSpiderboy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Pilgrim788)
I do CS and I wouldn't recommend it if you want to program games because a lot of it will be super unnecessary to you.

But there's a creative uni called SAE in London (which I'm hoping is commutable for you, and their freshers is literally one day). You can take a 2-year course (it's squashed so its three years in two so you only pay for 2 years) in specifically games-programming. And you only go in twice a week, so maybe you can get some work experience in your days off. Hope this helps.
This helps a lot thanks a lot! I'll look into SAE, it sounds exactly what I'm looking for
Nununu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by EthanSpiderboy)
This helps a lot thanks a lot! I'll look into SAE, it sounds exactly what I'm looking for
Accredited by Middlesex University
Pilgrim788
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by EthanSpiderboy)
Yeah no worries, my best friend is currently in his first year doing games programming there, feel free to ask any questions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (212)
70.67%
No I haven't decided yet (55)
18.33%
Yes but I might change my mind (33)
11%

Watched Threads