The Student Room Group

How can I make meaningful friendships in 2nd year?

Alright. So last year I guess I got pretty unlucky all round when it came to the people in my block in Halls, and others in halls as I failed to make any meaningful friendships.

I'd say I only have 2 meaningful friends in 2nd year atm. 1 girl from my Hall and course last year and my friend who is in 1st year and I know from back home.

Other than that I am pretty hopeless. But I do want to change things. It just seems so impossible, because it feels like most people hit the jackpot last year and are friends with those they met in halls many are best friends with their freshers week friends.

I am part of a sport but I have no confidence being friends with my sport mates because honest to god I am the biggest failure, weakest guy on the team, the biggest **** up when it comes to this sport and I unfortunately **** knows why will keep ****ing up I don't know. And also I find it harder to be friends with the 3rd years and the first years it seems like most people just talk to each other in the gym on my sport.

I am part of my course society. I wasn't able to go to the events last year as most clashed with my halls formals. I would like to go to the trip abroad which is in Feb but like I have no one to go with? Likewise travel society seems cool but I have no one to go travelling with,and it doesn't look like there is a facebook group chat for it.

Housemates just see me as a housemate tbh.

I am part of a part time job so I guess I could make friends with the other students I just don't know how to do it. It seems like my best option, but yeah.

I just want to change things. Its a shame deep down I like going out even going clubbing but for the most part especially last year I didn't enjoy because I was never able to go with people who I clicked with. And now I am taking a break from clubbing till around Christmas because I want to focus on the gym.

Nice managed to type this up without losing my ****, screaming, and hitting my laptop :smile:. It was kind of therapeutic to type this
feel the exact same I'm just trying to get as involved in uni as possible, e.g. societies and course.
Ask your friends if you can go on a night out with her mates and try to get closer to her friends if possible
Original post by PeterHopkinson
Ask your friends if you can go on a night out with her mates and try to get closer to her friends if possible

She’s in a similar position to me and my other mate doesn’t go out
It sounds like travelling society will be a good idea. Though it’s daunting that you don’t know anyone, I’m presuming that usually the type of people travelling society attracts are ones very open to new friendships. Even people who have established friend groups should be willing to expand their circle, If you walk in confident in being alone, people shouldn’t bat an eyelid or judge you for it. Also, first years will definitely be easy to talk to as they won’t know people super well yet. Even if they know at least one other person there, ofc people will want to get to know more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending