help me out (clothes and weather) Watch

raredrum
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
hello...it would be great if i can get a clear idea on what exactly to bring to st andrews(clothes)..i am going to be joining for my post graduate studies in sept.....i am from india and its pretty hot from where i am from(range 28 to 44degree celsius)....with this regard i hope someone can advice me on this
lincs_b
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
With the UK you need to expect anything. Layers are the best way to go and a water proof jacket will come in handy.
she
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Until you're used to the cold weather here you might want to bring a warm jacket and some gloves (at least that's what some friends from hot countries needed until they got used to it here).
she
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh and some nice looking but waterproof shoes. Shoes in this country are generally crap and expensive and not very waterproof.
raredrum
Rep:
?
it would be great if you could like get to the basics, cause i have never been in weathers less than abt 20 degrees....so i am a loss on what to buy...
22KT22
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lincs_b)
With the UK you need to expect anything. Layers are the best way to go and a water proof jacket will come in handy.
^ never have i heard better advice. that coat will be your best friend for life!
raredrum
Rep:
?
weather is the only thing i am worried abt.....the wet plus the really low temp is wat is clawing at my brain
raredrum
Rep:
?
would i require a formal jacket of some sort?
gyrase
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by raredrum)
weather is the only thing i am worried abt.....the wet plus the really low temp is wat is clawing at my brain
But isnt weather in India worse? Humid temperatures, people dehydrated easily, air-conditioning constantly on in hotal rooms yet it still feels hot. I think you'll like the weather in uk and get used to it very quickly.
dragon500uk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
people get worried about the weather for some reason. I know quite a few people from india and they dont have a problem.

Yes, In winter (about november onwards) you may need to buy a thick, waterproof jacket to keep out the chill, and a pair of gloves (nothing too fancy, just to keep the tootsies warm). A decent pair of trainers or shoes is a must, as when it gets wet.... well...

But really, when people talk about scotland being wet and rainy and dreary, they're not talking about the north east - and not the cost. Sure - over here is really wet - but it's quite warm.

Best thing to do i think is hold off from buying ten million jumpers and wait til you get here - you might find it pleasant.

(and dont bother with an umbrella, nine times out of ten when it rains there a bit of a wind with it - and it just breaks.)
raredrum
Rep:
?
that sorts it out then....thanks mate
raredrum
Rep:
?
i really dont have a yardstick to compare indian weather...so i dont know which ones worse...but yea its pretty humid out there and ya i hope to get used to the weather there and enjoy it as well
she
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Are you male or female?
raredrum
Rep:
?
i am a guy.....
raredrum
Rep:
?
so you are gonna change the nice looking shoe advice i presume...lol
lucho22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's not as cold as you'll be expecting... I was expecting to freeze, but the weather is really quite moderate and only extremely rarely falls below freezing in the middle of winter.
dragon500uk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Told ya. People think scotland is like the north pole Only reason my room mate was cold all the time was because she didnt eat and slept naked.
raredrum
Rep:
?
i sure wont be doing that...i'll enjoy it then...
Lucia.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah Scotland isn't as cold as you think. I've lived most of my life here and I walk around in a t-shirt in Winter....
autumn_breeze04
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Can't be as cold and wet as Wales surely...and if it is, I'll feel nicely at home. xp
I heard that the coast of Scotland on the side of St A was particularly warm and dry because of currents from the sea warming up the coast, could be wrong though - does anyone have any evidence to back this up? (If I'm way off the mark, it may be kinder to just smile and nod
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.84%
No - but I will (98)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (604)
47.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed