Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi
I’m bidding for an item on eBay and every time I place a bid I’m immediately out bid. I heard this is “proxy bidding” meaning one of the bidders gets a bid automatically placed even though they are away.

I find this system very annoying. It’s currently around £15 and item is not likely to go above £50.
What would happen if I bid £300 or something? Would this proxy bidder end up with a bid over £300 and have to pay over £300 for an item worth less than £50?
ThirdBack
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, it only bids them up to their limit. It would be the same thing for you (if you put in a £50 bid, anyone bidding under £50 would automatically be outbid by you). It wouldnt just go straight to £50 for you, because that would be stupid
leopard202
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
Hi
I’m bidding for an item on eBay and every time I place a bid I’m immediately out bid. I heard this is “proxy bidding” meaning one of the bidders gets a bid automatically placed even though they are away.

I find this system very annoying. It’s currently around £15 and item is not likely to go above £50.
What would happen if I bid £300 or something? Would this proxy bidder end up with a bid over £300 and have to pay over £300 for an item worth less than £50?
I avoid bidding until the very last moment. the earlier you bid the more time there is for people to outbid and price go up and up. Also, you can set it for 300GBP limit and there won't be time for everyone to actually bid up to that so you're safe. Just keep watching but don't participate until it's nearly ending. If another bidder has 350 as their max and proxy on then they will end up paying just over 300 because you wont be bidding any more but back and forth is automatic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (4)
26.67%
Spring (1)
6.67%
Autumn/Fall (4)
26.67%
Winter (4)
26.67%
I love them all equally (2)
13.33%