After Passing - did you feel prepared to park? Watch

DeSiFiEd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Well I haven't driven since my actual driving test, last year (April) lol...but I was thinking today how even then I would struggle to park :rolleyes:

Is this a common thing with most people? Like I'd be pretty weary to park inbetween two cars at a supermarket, or inbetween two cars on the side of a street!

Bavarian Motor Works
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Practice...
crypt0r
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yep I was for a while but eventually got used to it and am now quite confident at it. Just needa practice.
Tofufi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was confident with my parking when I passed my test.

I never even got taught reverse/bay parking (in supermarkets etc) but was fine with it first time
lizk123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'm not confidant with parking, i always look to find a spot away from other cars, think i just need practice! so yes, i think it's a common thing until you've had more experience
CatatonicStupor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can manage in a parking bay, though I tend to find a spot with only a car on one side, if possible. If not, then obv I have to do it right. Parking in the street, I'm terrible at, so I park away from my house where there's loads of room in front of me, and only a car behind. The one time I parked outside my house, I crashed into my neighbour's car and cracked my headlamp...>_< No damage to the neighbour's car though, and my dad came home, saw it and was like "Some **** has probably come out of the lane where you normally park and not seen you"... he thinks I'm such a good driver.
xSplashx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Practice. Iwas unsure of parking between 2 cars. But after like doing it so many times i suddenly realised that I stopped struggling with doing it a long time ago.
Jonathan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
With any delicate manoeuvre, if you go slowly, look around the car and make sure you know where all corners of the car are at all times, you won't hit anything.

Do that, and get some practice! Don't be afraid to abandon the by-rote techniques you learnt for your driving test. When I bay park, I look behind the car and swing it in as if I'm driving forwards - that is, I don't do the thing of stopping exactly a space and a half away, turning the wheel 2.4 turns etc.

Once you've got some practice and built up your confidence, you will be wowing ladies with your fast-and-accurate parkin' skillz every day
Makaveli_The_Don
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm too young to pass yet lol, but I've found it easy to park on my road on several occasions
rangers_mad
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I find parking really really easy tbh....just use your mirrors....I also find reversing into supermarket car park spaces much easier than just driving into them....for some reason I just seem to judge them better
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yep, I wasn't prepared for it, hence I bumped another car the first time I went to park in a regular car-park.

Practice lots... preferably with someone in the passenger seat who can act as an extra pair of eyes for you, and tell you how close you are on their side. I also find reversing into spaces is infinitely easier than going in forwards - and you don't have the bother of trying to reverse out (possibly into a stream of traffic in some car parks) when you want to leave.
- skyhigh -
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
Parallel parking was the part I was was afraid of the most before my test. I practiced a lot in an empty car park trying to pretend there were cars parked on either side of me :p:
Talya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's OK I've hit stationary bikes twice parking... luckily no damage either time. But you don't realise what you are doing wrong until you royally **** up!!!
thanette
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No...and I still don't now, half the time and 21 months on! Lack of spatial awareness... have got so many dents as a result! Always use your mirrors!
__natalie__
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah, i wouldn't park near any other cars for ages ! mainly because i learnt to drive in a mini and i had reference points on that car.
the car i drive, though, is a megane, which is miles bigger! used to it now though, unless somebody is watching (), just takes practice and confidence.
Jonathan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rangers_mad)
I find parking really really easy tbh....just use your mirrors....I also find reversing into supermarket car park spaces much easier than just driving into them....for some reason I just seem to judge them better
There's a good reason for that. Cars do not move identically when facing forwards or facing backwards, because the front wheels point while the rear wheels remain facing straight ahead.

The result is, when the steering wheel is not straight ahead, moving makes the front of the car sweep sideways but the rear of the car move forwards and backwards.

This is why going forward into a space is difficult - the car sort of sweeps sideways, rather than sliding into the space, and you can easily get stuck. If you're reversing in, as long as you've aimed the rear of the car into the entrance of the space, you can just push the rear along the space and bring the front round so it is straight.
StylesClash
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I passed in February, and up until a few weeks ago, the only driving I'd done since had been pass plus.

I think I've possibly forgotten exactly how to parallel park as like I've said above, I've not had to do it in 5 months, so I tend to have to find spaces big enough for me to drive into there.

Bay parking I'm sort of okay with. I'll only reverse into it if there's no other cars either side, otherwise I'll drive straight in If the bays are actually aligned on opposite sides, I'll drive into one, then reverse into the opposite one.

Is it just me, or does it make more sense to drive into a bay at a supermarket so it's easier to load the boot up?
Report 10 years ago
I wouldn't worry about it, Many people can't park after 40 years of driving.
Cessie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I never parallel park, I probably couldn't even do it now over 3 years on from passing my test. Bay parkings fine.
The Apprentice
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
iv never bay parked in me life as i never needed to learn it for my test centre but im sure its easy to drive forward into a bay?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise