The Student Room Group

Should I be taxed?

I’ve just got my first pay check for a job in retail. I was supposed to get £355 but I was taxed and they deducted £70. I thought because I’m a full time uni student I don’t have to pay any taxes?
You shouldn’t be taxed, call hmrc, inform them you are a student and how many hours you work. They sometimes put people on emergency tax, if you have a new job and they haven’t yet categorised what tax you should be paying. But you’ll get your money back.
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve just got my first pay check for a job in retail. I was supposed to get £355 but I was taxed and they deducted £70. I thought because I’m a full time uni student I don’t have to pay any taxes?

how much do you earn a year is under £11,500 I agree with @GCSEPANIC
It's sometimes the emergency tax code you're on. After a while you'll be put on the right one and you'll get that money back in the form of a rebate at the end of the tax year
if you'll earn more than the tax free allowance you still have to pay tax as a student... that's something like 11500 a year for income tax and 180 a week for national insurance

if you earned less than your allowance then it is likely to be emergency tax... what is your tax code and is the tax listed as NI or income tax?

If you're on emergency tax check with your work, you may need to do a starter checklist form... you'll then get the tax back the next month
It is likely because you work in a large organisation and use PAYE (Pay as you earn), so even though you have not yet met the total threshold for paying tax the funds will be deducted regardless.

If by the end of the tax year you have paid too much tax you will receive a rebate.
Also, tax is nothing to do with how old you are or whether you're a uni student. It's about how much you earn per year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending