Quitting after 3 weeks - do I still need to pay for a terms fees Watch

simonearly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Terms start was Sep 30th. Student decided this was not for her and left on 18th Oct - 19 days into term 1. No student finance has been received as yet and Uni is demanding £2000+ in (course) fees for the period.
Surely this is a bit steep?
Anyone successfully challenged a fee demand under similar circumstances?
Course was "sold" to her successfully, but on attendance was quite different to that which was described, hence disillusionment, panic, anxiety ("what have I done?" etc).
CTLeafez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Student finance tuition fees are paid in three instalments. I believe it’s 25%, 25%, 50% for undergraduate.

The student in question has stayed as a student past the first instalment date so they are liable to pay it. I don’t think realising uni isn’t meant for you is a good enough extenuating circumstance to get out of paying.

The fact the course wasn’t as it was advertised is a separate issue and if the student wants to take that further, they’ll have to talk to a lawyer.
Amy SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by simonearly)
Terms start was Sep 30th. Student decided this was not for her and left on 18th Oct - 19 days into term 1. No student finance has been received as yet and Uni is demanding £2000+ in (course) fees for the period.
Surely this is a bit steep?
Anyone successfully challenged a fee demand under similar circumstances?
Course was "sold" to her successfully, but on attendance was quite different to that which was described, hence disillusionment, panic, anxiety ("what have I done?" etc).
Hi there,

If you withdraw from your course, the amount you will be charged will be dependent on when you withdrew;

During Term 1 - you will be charged 25% of the fees
During Term 2 - you will be charged 50% of the fees
During Term 3 - you will be charged 100% of the fees

This is charged at your universities discretion.They will advise how much fees are due to be paid and send us a change of circumstances to amend the amount.

Thanks, Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (217)
53.19%
18-20 years old (no) (53)
12.99%
20-25 years old (yes) (64)
15.69%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
2.21%
25-30 years old (yes) (24)
5.88%