How Hard is AS level Further Mathematics? Watch

wuzm121
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi All,

I am a second-year (13) IB student who is regretting so much for dropping Maths HL at the beginning of the first year because I did not want to stress myself. Now I have arrived at the university application stage of my life where I have very little options/courses to choose from (good universities), given that I am predicted 44 for IB. My teacher suggested me to take A level maths, which I just started (November). I should be able to get A *, however, I am now also considering to take Further Maths but at AS level only. So I wanted to ask how hard is it? maybe in comparison to A level? Also, I want to major statistics at the university.

Many thanks guysssss
Mona123456
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by wuzm121)
Hi All,

I am a second-year (13) IB student who is regretting so much for dropping Maths HL at the beginning of the first year because I did not want to stress myself. Now I have arrived at the university application stage of my life where I have very little options/courses to choose from (good universities), given that I am predicted 44 for IB. My teacher suggested me to take A level maths, which I just started (November). I should be able to get A *, however, I am now also considering to take Further Maths but at AS level only. So I wanted to ask how hard is it? maybe in comparison to A level? Also, I want to major statistics at the university.

Many thanks guysssss
I would say Further Maths AS is roughly similar in difficulty to normal Maths A2, but the main change is the problem solving skills and creativity required. However, you’d need to take 2 optional modules I believe, and most likely Further Stats 1 and 2, which I would expect to be quite challenging. The workload would be intense - if IB is equivalent to 3 A Levels, then an AS on top of that is a lot to take on, given you’re taking your exams this year and realistically have one and a half to two terms to learn everything. It’s doable but would require a lot of hard work and strong work ethic.
wuzm121
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mona123456)
I would say Further Maths AS is roughly similar in difficulty to normal Maths A2, but the main change is the problem solving skills and creativity required. However, you’d need to take 2 optional modules I believe, and most likely Further Stats 1 and 2, which I would expect to be quite challenging. The workload would be intense - if IB is equivalent to 3 A Levels, then an AS on top of that is a lot to take on, given you’re taking your exams this year and realistically have one and a half to two terms to learn everything. It’s doable but would require a lot of hard work and strong work ethic.

well, its time to pay for my silliness>
Thanks for your response
cheerIeader
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hard. Hun.
Mona123456
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by wuzm121)

well, its time to pay for my silliness>
Thanks for your response
You’re welcome. If you have any other questions about it, let me know and I’ll do my best to help answer them.

For reference regarding the workload - for AS Further Maths I had about 5 hours of contact time (lessons) per week, plus around 5-8 hours of mandatory homework per week. So it is very demanding in terms of how much time it consumes! In some ways, I’d say the workload and tight deadlines were probably harder than the maths itself.
wuzm121
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheerIeader)
Hard. Hun.
wuzm121
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mona123456)
You’re welcome. If you have any other questions about it, let me know and I’ll do my best to help answer them.

For reference regarding the workload - for AS Further Maths I had about 5 hours of contact time (lessons) per week, plus around 5-8 hours of mandatory homework per week. So it is very demanding in terms of how much time it consumes! In some ways, I’d say the workload and tight deadlines were probably harder than the maths itself.
Oh yea

I also have numerous courseworks from IB..that is disastrous.

Thanks again!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (120)
63.49%
No (69)
36.51%

Watched Threads