Too nervous to quit job? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I started my job only about 2 months ago, and I really dislike it. It’s not as taxing on my mental health as previous jobs have been, but we are only given very few hours (2 hours a week to be precise) and we are required to pay for our own travel expenses as well as resources. As it is a teaching role, I also have to spend sometimes hours planning lessons.
The kids are lovely, but often very disruptive and because I lack natural assertiveness, I’m often left feeling painfully drained and inadequate as my lessons usually involve the kids talking over me, messing around, not listening etc, no matter the techniques I implement or how I try to change my posture and voice. I also tutor alongside another girl, which ironically makes things so much more difficult and humiliating as she can clearly see how much I fail as a teacher.
All in all, I am unhappy with the pay - considering travel, printing and training are unpaid, I earn £18 a week, which to me is quite dismal. It also takes effort to get to my site of teaching.
I am also a uni student; the company is geared toward hiring university students.
The thing is, I am finding it difficult to quit. The company puts huge emphasis on remaining no matter your situation. They almost make it out to seem like if you leave, you die. During initial training, there was a whole segment on what to do if a colleague tells you that they’re stressed from exams and other commitments and that they were feeling really anxious. I half expected the answer to be something like “tell them that it’s ok to have some time away, maybe return after exams etc” but the managers actual answer was something along the lines of “encourage them to stay, let the programme officer know that they’re feeling this way, think about the kids etc.” Almost felt like rooting people out and snitching during the Red Scare.
As stupid as it sounds, I am a very sensitive person and I like to maintain a good relationship with absolutely everyone. Just the thought of revealing to my managers that I’d like to quit makes me cringe because I can almost imagine the disgust on their faces lol.
The other issue is how to actually quit. I can’t imagine calling them or meeting face to face, simply because under direct contact, I crumble under pressure and would 99% decide to stay. Do I send them an email?
I am in frequent contact with my bosses through email anyway. And there’s a 2 week notice period so will I have to continue working for those 2 weeks?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just send them a polite email.
Are you receiving the minimum wage and payslips from the employer?
DiddyDecAlt
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sounds like a toxic work environment, guilt tripping into staying in a role that is causing undue stress is incredibly irresponsible.

Put your notice in written format and email it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by londonmyst)
Just send them a polite email.
Are you receiving the minimum wage and payslips from the employer?
No, I’m getting paid a decent amount but it still doesn’t add up to much due to costs of travel and printing expenses coming out of my own pocket.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
Sounds like a toxic work environment, guilt tripping into staying in a role that is causing undue stress is incredibly irresponsible.

Put your notice in written format and email it.
Ok, I think I will...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (12)
27.27%
Spring (7)
15.91%
Autumn/Fall (13)
29.55%
Winter (8)
18.18%
I love them all equally (4)
9.09%