holihs0001
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
how rigid on this are universities that list this requirement? i'm scoping out my options right now while studying an access to HE course, i have my pass in English already and i plan on retaking maths before university too, but i'm worried that these "five passes at GCSE grade C or above" requirements might screw me over. i screwed up my GCSEs in secondary and i'm only just really salvaging my education with this access course. by the time i complete this access course i should have 2 passes total -- would this suffice for degree courses?

if it helps, the access course i am doing is humanities/social sciences and my areas of interest at university are politics/history/philosophy. i am fond of blending economics into one of them through a joint or combined honours degree course, too, which to my surprise seem to be available without requiring a level maths.
PetitePanda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Since you’re doing the access course, it would be best if you contact the uni about your situation and the problem about your GCSEs and how to deal with them.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Usually Unis stating GCSE requirements mean it, and usually if you dont have what they want ('A in Maths' or '5 GCSE at C or above') then you will be rejected. However, Unis are also usually a little bit more flexible for mature applicants - you have the vital ones, Maths ad English, so its possible that they might not insist on this requirement.

Where are you thinking of applying - not all Unis will insist on this for all courses anyway.
holihs0001
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Usually Unis stating GCSE requirements mean it, and usually if you dont have what they want ('A in Maths' or '5 GCSE at C or above') then you will be rejected. However, Unis are also usually a little bit more flexible for mature applicants - you have the vital ones, Maths ad English, so its possible that they might not insist on this requirement.

Where are you thinking of applying - not all Unis will insist on this for all courses anyway.
at the moment i've been looking at kent/essex/reading
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by holihs0001)
at the moment i've been looking at kent/essex/reading
And do they all say specifically that they want '5 GCSEs at C or above' or are you just assuming that they do?
holihs0001
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
And do they all say specifically that they want '5 GCSEs at C or above' or are you just assuming that they do?
kent and essex seem to have a 5 GCSE pass in explicit writing for their general entry requirements, reading doesn't. i've contacted the ones that don't to ask about my situation but i wanted to see if anyone on here had experience they could share anyway
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Email them and explain why you only have 2 GCSEs - see what they say.
StudentRep Annabel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by holihs0001)
how rigid on this are universities that list this requirement? i'm scoping out my options right now while studying an access to HE course, i have my pass in English already and i plan on retaking maths before university too, but i'm worried that these "five passes at GCSE grade C or above" requirements might screw me over. i screwed up my GCSEs in secondary and i'm only just really salvaging my education with this access course. by the time i complete this access course i should have 2 passes total -- would this suffice for degree courses?

if it helps, the access course i am doing is humanities/social sciences and my areas of interest at university are politics/history/philosophy. i am fond of blending economics into one of them through a joint or combined honours degree course, too, which to my surprise seem to be available without requiring a level maths.
Hi there!
So pleased to hear you're considering applying to the University of Kent
From what I can find on the website the entry requirements do ask for 5 passess at GCSE, but it could definitely be worth contacting the Recruitment and Admissions department and asking them about this, as if you meet their A-level entry requirements there is a fair chance you could still be accepted Here is the contact information webpage for the Recruitment and Admissions department at Kent.
I hope this helps! Best of luck with your university applications
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

what's your favourite season?

Summer (5)
29.41%
Spring (1)
5.88%
Autumn/Fall (5)
29.41%
Winter (4)
23.53%
I love them all equally (2)
11.76%