How many of you are thinking of Oxbridge? Watch

ebam_uk
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
How many of you are thinking of Oxbridge?

I know it is a bit early, considering some of you have not got your results yet, but before you start A level's is a good time to consider Oxbridge as a lot of you here probably have a good chance of getting in.

Lol, when I was in Year 11, I didn't have much clue which uni's were the best. Although now since applying to Uni's I have a slightly better indication.

If you had told me that I would have an offer for Cambridge in year 11, I would not for a second believe you. But, I can predict a lot of people from TSR will get into Cambridge, even with less than stellar GCSE grades its a fact.

The main reason I started this thread is because I stumbled across an old thread back two years ago of GCSE results *the memories*.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=273471

Obviously a lot of people from this thread are oxbridge offer holders now, but certainly back then I would never have imagined....
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I certainly won't be, not at undergraduate level anyway. My predicted grades are so much better than I expect I'll get. I'm really worried I won't even get a C in Maths [obviously if I don't I'll have to retake], so Oxbridge is certainly out. And besides, they don't do Politics/IR at undergraduate level. Oh, and I get too nervous in interviews and stop being able to think straight.
Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The gun is being jumped a bit. After GCSEs you have no-idea if you will even be anywhere near good enough to apply for Oxbridge.
snorty_swirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I agree with Ed. i did well in my GCSEs and was encouraged by the school to think about Oxbridge, just finished AS level and i have to say i dont have a cat in hells chance
Brighten
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I doubt it. I will probably get 5A*s and 5Bs or roundabout that figure, which is unlikely to be good enough seeing as 10A* people routinely get rejected. As for extracurriculars, I don't do anything. And I was only in the top set for one subject during GCSE.
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes. Oxbridge, Imperial or Nottingham. Probably.

Already been to the open days and I will again later on this year.
Lippy Lizzy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nobody will know what their situation is until after the results are in.

At this early stage I'm ruling myself out because my brother got 7 A*s and 4 As in his GCSEs and straight As his A levels (doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology) and was head boy of his school and was still rejected.

Only around 22% of the people that apply get in and so, although the idea is good it's going to take place in your 5 choices and realistically the vast majority will be rejected.
[m a a r i.]
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
i was thinking about cambridge..
but then..
i didnt really want to thinking of the probability of getting in ^^"
jonnythemoose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A levels really set the men out from the boys (pardon the sexist expression), so it's really not something you'll know about until you've done A/S. I started researching Oxbridge around May of year 12 - and when I got my A/S results, confirmed that I would be applying.
Shask
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
I've definitely thought of it, and there's nothing wrong with trying. Aim for the highest - pushing yourself to even an interview rejection at Oxbridge will be enough to get into almost any other university of your choice (i.e. you'll probably have AAA and have good qualities).

I will think of it more depending on my GCSE grades, and I'm sure most other people will be doing that too.

Either way I think I need an AAB minimum in my A-Levels, to get into Liverpool Uni (won't have to move, got a good uni on my door ).
martin101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
3 summers ago, when I had just done my GCSEs (and thought Id failed the lot - everyone does regardless of how it ends up) I had no idea that Id be applying to Oxford and frankly if youd said back then in 3 years youll be in Oxford Id probably have laughed at you. It really is early days here.
trance addict
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No point considering oxbridge before you get GCSE/AS grades. Also i think if i was to get grades good enough i'd want to go to Imperial instead since the course is better (never knew/cared about cambridge hype, i just liked the look of their comp sci course that made me want to apply there)
shotgunkisses
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
People who think they'll have no chance because of someone they know with good GCSE gardes getting rejected, the GCSE grades don't mean that much. Sure, lots of As are good, but your A Levels mean a hell of a lot more. Also, in interviews they try to see if you're a person who can think for themselves, think creatively etc, not just capable of memorising loads of ****. That's the impression I got anyway.

I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge.
moody28028
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm thinking of applying to Oxford. Visited it quite a few times and really like it, plus I like the whole college/tutorial way you learn.
Also, to all the people saying they will have to see how their GCSE grades turn out etc., surely after doing them you know roughly whether you did well in them or not? Plus, it's not as if Oxbridge care as much as LSE, Durham.
trance addict
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by moody28028)
I'm thinking of applying to Oxford. Visited it quite a few times and really like it, plus I like the whole college/tutorial way you learn.
Also, to all the people saying they will have to see how their GCSE grades turn out etc., surely after doing them you know roughly whether you did well in them or not? Plus, it's not as if Oxbridge care as much as LSE, Durham.
From what i've heard, oxford - gcse nazis, cambridge - AS level nazis. Cambridge have a system where they top up your score depending on how good/bad your school was. Also they take UMS marks.
moody28028
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by trance addict)
From what i've heard, oxford - gcse nazis, cambridge - AS level nazis. Cambridge have a system where they top up your score depending on how good/bad your school was. Also they take UMS marks.
Well there are quite a few people on this forum that say that GCSEs don't matter as much at Oxbridge if you do well at A levels and quite a few cases of this. Plus, Oxford don't require UMS, just Cambridge.
trance addict
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by moody28028)
Well there are quite a few people on this forum that say that GCSEs don't matter as much at Oxbridge if you do well at A levels and quite a few cases of this. Plus, Oxford don't require UMS, just Cambridge.
Yeah i meant only cambridge take UMS, and I think that gcses don't matter is relative. If you got something like CCCDDUUU (unless you have some extenuating circumstances and a half) I don't think they'd be too pleased.
milliondollarcorpse
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Obviously I'm thinking about Oxbridge, although whether I'd have a chance or not is a different matter :p:
juicyfruit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ed.)
The gun is being jumped a bit. After GCSEs you have no-idea if you will even be anywhere near good enough to apply for Oxbridge.
:ditto:
It can all change at A Level.
rapha
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Me, but it will depend on how easy I find my AS Levels and what grades I get for them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads