The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
I'm defiantly thinking of applying, at the very least it is something to aim and aspire for, which though hard is achievable through a good amount of effort and probably a bit of luck. Currently i'm not sure what kind of chance i have of getting in, as my academic results should be very good (mainly A*'s and the rest A's (predicted)), but in terms of extra curricular activity and work experience i have done very little.
Reply 161
Rubgish
I'm defiantly thinking of applying, at the very least it is something to aim and aspire for, which though hard is achievable through a good amount of effort and probably a bit of luck. Currently i'm not sure what kind of chance i have of getting in, as my academic results should be very good (mainly A*'s and the rest A's (predicted)), but in terms of extra curricular activity and work experience i have done very little.

What do you want to do at uni?
Reply 162
Oh yeah sorry i guess i should have mentioned that, will probably end up being maths. Its the only subject I know enough and am interested in enough to actually do.
Reply 163
Rubgish
Oh yeah sorry i guess i should have mentioned that, will probably end up being maths. Its the only subject I know enough and am interested in enough to actually do.

I dont think they place much emphasis on extracurriculars for Maths.
rapha
What?! You think its impossible to get into Oxbridge with 6A* and 5A? Do you think that you are not going to achieve your predicted grades or are you just being sarcastic? :confused:

Trust me, I've heard of people who got in with less than that...

No, definitely not sarcastic - it's just a lot of my friends have older brothers/sisters who are academically brilliant and do a lot outside of school and didn't get anywhere near.
Besides, it gets a lot more competitive if I'm right at AS/A2 - looking at raw marks etc. I'm not hard-working, and I don't like my AS subjects!
Honest, I'm not one of these people who are really depressingly pessimistic about grades all the time, I just like to think I'm a bit realistic. :smile:
Reply 165
lozz2601
No, definitely not sarcastic - it's just a lot of my friends have older brothers/sisters who are academically brilliant and do a lot outside of school and didn't get anywhere near.
Besides, it gets a lot more competitive if I'm right at AS/A2 - looking at raw marks etc. I'm not hard-working, and I don't like my AS subjects!
Honest, I'm not one of these people who are really depressingly pessimistic about grades all the time, I just like to think I'm a bit realistic. :smile:

But if you are doing the required subjects for your course and get high grades for your A Levels, won't your chances be just as high as everyone else's?
rapha
But if you are doing the required subjects for your course and get high grades for your A Levels, won't your chances be just as high as everyone else's?

Ah, yes, but I won't as the lack of motivation/ability will prevent that.
In theory, yes.
As i dont have any proper qualifications yet, lets say im definitely open to Oxbridge, whether my results allow me is a different story...i'll be back on the 21st.
Reply 168
Priyanka1992
As i dont have any proper qualifications yet, lets say im definitely open to Oxbridge, whether my results allow me is a different story...i'll be back on the 21st.

good answer. :smile:
Reply 169
I want to go to Oxford :smile: Am hoping to apply for Oxford, Edinburgh, Durham, and then two others (probably Newcastle/Bristol/Glasgow) for English Lit or History.

Am aiming for all As and A*s at GCSE, not sure if I've got that though
Well. I don't know.
To be honest I'd rather go to Imperial that Oxbridge (only Yr 10, hah, but Materials Science seems gooood).
*Or Bath, because they have a SIMULATION BOBSLED*
Can't really say much as I obviously haven't visited anywhere yet, but with Oxbridge you get all of the attitudes and the general hysteria. With somewhere like Imperial you can talk much more in depth about your subject (as it's all Science based), rather than 'What are you doing?', 'English', 'That's nice'.
Sorry if everything above is really stupid or not right, that is just the general impression I've gathered from talking to people/research..
Marsha2112
Well. I don't know.
To be honest I'd rather go to Imperial that Oxbridge (only Yr 10, hah, but Materials Science seems gooood).

I've been thinking the same, the computing course looks great at Imperial. Also your profile picture is weird :s-smilie:
Reply 172
d123
Am aiming for all As and A*s at GCSE, not sure if I've got that though

Don't just ride on your GCSEs love. Universities are more intelligent to know that it's not just GCSEs that count when applying.
Reply 173
I would apply if I were feeling I'd actually done well in my GCSE's. Judging by how I think I did, I won't bother applying.
m4n0ran
Don't just ride on your GCSEs love. Universities are more intelligent to know that it's not just GCSEs that count when applying.

Your very patronising..
shabanrauf
Your very patronising..

You're

sorry couldn't resist :p:
Reply 176
trance addict
You're

lol before you made that post i was actually thinking of correcting that person. damn u gt there before me. maybe next time....
Reply 177
is oxbridge really hard to get into?
jj11
is oxbridge really hard to get into?

yeah... and you can only apply to one for a start
trance addict
You're

Seriously, who cares?

it's a message board:s-smilie:

Latest