The Student Room Group

GCSE studying

So, I'm currently in year 10. I have my mocks coming up soon and my real GCSEs next year. Overall, I study science, english, maths, music, spanish, history and PE. How do I balance out my studying for all subjects? Like, how much time should I spend on one subject, and at what point do I switch to another subject? I find it quite difficult and overwhelming to think about this kind of stuff, so any sort of help would be much appreciated. :smile:
Reply 1
Hi, I'm currently in year 13 doing my A-Levels, and I can relate to feeling a bit overwhelmed at times when juggling with so many subjects at GCSE.

I would say that spending a couple of hours a week for each of your subjects outside of school is helpful, but always remember to structure your revision, so you do the most important things first. This could include going over a topic you're not very sure on, revising of an upcoming test, etc. Firstly, you might want to establish how much time you've got outside of school. Ideally, you should leave yourself time to do your hobbies, sport and have some free time (this can help you relax and keep a work-life balance). If you write down tasks/homework that you need to do, then you can roughly estimate how long you need to be spending on each, and timetable this. Every time you finish a task, you can tick it off. This genuinely both gives you a sense of achievement and helps you sort out your workload, avoiding the unnecessary stress of having to keep tasks to do in mind.

Also, handing in homework and keeping to deadlines might seem like a lot of work, but it definitely pays off when exams come around. I get distracted quite easily, so I've learnt to keep my phone away from me while I'm doing school work because then I use time more efficiently.

I hope this helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by chiqui
Hi, I'm currently in year 13 doing my A-Levels, and I can relate to feeling a bit overwhelmed at times when juggling with so many subjects at GCSE.

I would say that spending a couple of hours a week for each of your subjects outside of school is helpful, but always remember to structure your revision, so you do the most important things first. This could include going over a topic you're not very sure on, revising of an upcoming test, etc. Firstly, you might want to establish how much time you've got outside of school. Ideally, you should leave yourself time to do your hobbies, sport and have some free time (this can help you relax and keep a work-life balance). If you write down tasks/homework that you need to do, then you can roughly estimate how long you need to be spending on each, and timetable this. Every time you finish a task, you can tick it off. This genuinely both gives you a sense of achievement and helps you sort out your workload, avoiding the unnecessary stress of having to keep tasks to do in mind.

Also, handing in homework and keeping to deadlines might seem like a lot of work, but it definitely pays off when exams come around. I get distracted quite easily, so I've learnt to keep my phone away from me while I'm doing school work because then I use time more efficiently.

I hope this helped :smile:

thanks :smile: This is the kind of information I needed aha. It's much appreciated! I'll get work on writing everything out and not keeping it all crammed in my head. Thank you again!
sorry, i probably won’t be of much help, but i’m in a very similar situation.
like you, i’m in year10 & am studying english, maths, science, ict, geography, spanish & sociology.
i also am struggling to balance all of my revision. i asked for some advice on another thread about this & the person who responded to me helped me a lot really. they told me to go & talk to someone, & although i’m not following what they said exactly, but i’m going to try by talking to my friend tonight. i’ll tag them in because they really helped me, so maybe they can help you too :smile:

Spoiler

so yeah, you’re not alone :smile:
my PMs are always open if you ever want to talk about anything seeing as we’re both year10s :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ItsAMeJess
So, I'm currently in year 10. I have my mocks coming up soon and my real GCSEs next year. Overall, I study science, english, maths, music, spanish, history and PE. How do I balance out my studying for all subjects? Like, how much time should I spend on one subject, and at what point do I switch to another subject? I find it quite difficult and overwhelming to think about this kind of stuff, so any sort of help would be much appreciated. :smile:

When revising, don’t spend more than 2-3 hours on one subject otherwise it becomes monotonous and the information doesn’t stick. I normally do 45 mins revision, 15 min break before exams. Try spend more time on maths and English cause they see more important and try set aside extra time for subjects you find difficult. Little and often is the key - rather do 30 mins a week of revision than 4 straight hours a month Since you’ve only got 7 subjects, it should have enough time to balance everything!
Original post by ItsAMeJess

Start with the subjects you're struggling with the most, as they should be your priority. Switch to another subject when you feel comfortable with the topic you've just revised. Make a list of everything you need to revise as this will help you visualise it and manage your time better. I find that making a rough timetable/schedule of revision helps me a lot (it helped me at GCSE and helps me now at uni!).

Quick Reply

Latest