username5027084
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Just wondering why actually wants to go chichester uni? And if so can we get to know each other hhaah
remussjhj01
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I'm applying to Chichester! I'm applying to do Music with Teaching, and I play classical guitar as my main instrument, but also electric guitar, vocals (tenor), bass guitar, basic piano and I'm teaching myself clarinet (and hopefully trumpet at some point too).
What are you applying for?
username5027084
Rep:
?
(Original post by remussjhj01)
I'm applying to Chichester! I'm applying to do Music with Teaching, and I play classical guitar as my main instrument, but also electric guitar, vocals (tenor), bass guitar, basic piano and I'm teaching myself clarinet (and hopefully trumpet at some point too).
Oooo is chichester your first choice? And you sound super smart omg I wanna do acting for film hahah
remussjhj01
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Ideksophiexx)
Oooo is chichester your first choice? And you sound super smart omg I wanna do acting for film hahah
I'm not really sure yet. At the moment my favourite course is the one at Surrey, but there's a whole load of bs going on so idk if that's gonna happen. I'm on a gap year though, so I've got time.
I've heard Chichester is really good for acting!
Where else are you applying for?
username5027084
Rep:
?
I looked round norwich university of the Arts today and wasn’t a fan, it’s literally either Chichester or Southampton-Solent university, it’s hard to find university’s that specifically focus on just acting for television/film etc but yeah go for the uni which will benefit you more and help you career wise
remussjhj01
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I looked round norwich university of the Arts today and wasn’t a fan, it’s literally either Chichester or Southampton-Solent university, it’s hard to find university’s that specifically focus on just acting for television/film etc but yeah go for the uni which will benefit you more and help you career wise
What is it that makes you want to focus on TV/film acting?
username5027084
Rep:
?
not sure really, ever since I was younger ive wanted to be on tv and be in films, I’d love people watching me n being like ‘ omg I wanna be just like her ‘ just kinda inspire people and make my mum proud
What is it that makes you want to focus on TV/film acting?
remussjhj01
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
not sure really, ever since I was younger ive wanted to be on tv and be in films, I’d love people watching me n being like ‘ omg I wanna be just like her ‘ just kinda inspire people and make my mum proud
That's fair. I'd love to be a performing musician, so I get that.
University of Chichester
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 hours ago
Hey Ideksophiexx! If you have any questions about the course or us as a University please feel free to ask . We have a lot of great acting courses at the University and would love to help you wherever we can!
University of Chichester
Rep:
?
Report 15 hours ago
Hey remussjhj01! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us to help you make your decision!

Our Music department is one of the biggest in the country and we have a lot of opportunities outside of the music degrees such as orchestra's, bands, open mic nights, carbaret nights and plenty of chances to learn other instruments!
remussjhj01
Rep:
?
Report 14 hours ago
(Original post by University of Chichester)
Hey remussjhj01! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us to help you make your decision!

Our Music department is one of the biggest in the country and we have a lot of opportunities outside of the music degrees such as orchestra's, bands, open mic nights, carbaret nights and plenty of chances to learn other instruments!
I do have a couple if that's okay?
1). If you have any more detail about learning new instruments, that would be great.
2). What kinds of ensembles are there? Are any open to classical guitarists or absolute beginners on trumpet/clarinet?
3). What's the audition process like for music (what kinds of things will I have to do etc)? Will I have to do a separate interview for the teaching part of my degree and if I do, will it be in the same day?
4). I'm also looking at your music performance courses. Will the audition for those be different or will it be the same audition for both degrees?
I understand these are very subject specific, so no worries if you can't find all the info. Thanks for the help!
University of Chichester
Rep:
?
Report 11 hours ago
I do have a couple if that's okay?
1). If you have any more detail about learning new instruments, that would be great.
2). What kinds of ensembles are there? Are any open to classical guitarists or absolute beginners on trumpet/clarinet?
3). What's the audition process like for music (what kinds of things will I have to do etc)? Will I have to do a separate interview for the teaching part of my degree and if I do, will it be in the same day?
4). I'm also looking at your music performance courses. Will the audition for those be different or will it be the same audition for both degrees?
I understand these are very subject specific, so no worries if you can't find all the info. Thanks for the help!
One of our Music students Jess has answered your questions!

1. There’s three ways of learning a new instruments really. You can either choose to have a new instrument as your second study and split your lesson times. Or you can pay for extra lessons and learn that way. The department have loads of instruments behind the desk that we can borrow. Not sure how much extra lessons are though. Finally, you can join the brass band training band, get free group lessons and then work your way into the main band.

2. There’s so many ensembles! Wind Band, Brass Band, Marching Band, Big Band, Sleepy Lagoon Orchestra, Chamber Choir, Symphonic Choir, Sax/Clarinet Group, Jazz Ensembles, Concert Orchestra, and probably more I’ve forgotten. Most are open to anyone, some require auditions.

3. The auditions are really relaxed (mine was 4 years ago but I doubt it’s changed much!) There’s usually 8-10 of you in a group, you have a campus tour with Ben Hall the head of music then you all head over to the Chapel (our big performance space) and you play to each other. Ben usually accompanies as well if needed. You only need to play/sing for 3-4 mins and there’s no formal interview afterwards either. I would recommend you chat to Ben afterwards because he loves it when people take an interest. Be polite, be helpful and say thank you. He will remember that!

4. The audition process for the Music courses are the same. Musical Theatre is different, but if it’s just the music based courses you’re interested in then it’s the same audition process. No need to get stressed, try and enjoy it!

If you have any more questions for Jess, feel free to ask and she will answer them for you
remussjhj01
Rep:
?
Report 11 hours ago
(Original post by University of Chichester)
One of our Music students Jess has answered your questions!

1. There’s three ways of learning a new instruments really. You can either choose to have a new instrument as your second study and split your lesson times. Or you can pay for extra lessons and learn that way. The department have loads of instruments behind the desk that we can borrow. Not sure how much extra lessons are though. Finally, you can join the brass band training band, get free group lessons and then work your way into the main band.

2. There’s so many ensembles! Wind Band, Brass Band, Marching Band, Big Band, Sleepy Lagoon Orchestra, Chamber Choir, Symphonic Choir, Sax/Clarinet Group, Jazz Ensembles, Concert Orchestra, and probably more I’ve forgotten. Most are open to anyone, some require auditions.

3. The auditions are really relaxed (mine was 4 years ago but I doubt it’s changed much!) There’s usually 8-10 of you in a group, you have a campus tour with Ben Hall the head of music then you all head over to the Chapel (our big performance space) and you play to each other. Ben usually accompanies as well if needed. You only need to play/sing for 3-4 mins and there’s no formal interview afterwards either. I would recommend you chat to Ben afterwards because he loves it when people take an interest. Be polite, be helpful and say thank you. He will remember that!

4. The audition process for the Music courses are the same. Musical Theatre is different, but if it’s just the music based courses you’re interested in then it’s the same audition process. No need to get stressed, try and enjoy it!

If you have any more questions for Jess, feel free to ask and she will answer them for you
That's great, thanks so much for all this! It sounds like there's loads of really great opportunities, which is really great. I do have just a couple more, one again in relation to the instrumental lessons.
1).What standard does the audition piece have to be? I'm aiming for grade 8, but I've just started them so I'm not sure they'll be ready in time.
2). If I decided to split my lessons and do a second study, would it bring my overall grade down because I'm not playing to a grade 7-ish+ standard and am playing as a beginner?
3). Do you have any advice for open days? I'm going this weekend and want to make sure I get it all right
Hope that makes sense and thanks for all the help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (135)
54%
18-20 years old (no) (30)
12%
20-25 years old (yes) (39)
15.6%