Should you lie to your friends to make them feel better? Watch

lozzers0
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Hello

I just wanted some advice on this question, recently at my school I have seen people lie to their friends about things to make them feel better/boost their confidence. Like one of my friends told our other friend that her painting was really good in art but in reality she thought it was terrible and made that clear to others.

could this be considered wrong or an act of kindness? or is it only okay if you don’t tell others you think it’s bad? because I thought that it was especially out of order that she told everyone else she thought it was terrible.
XxFabGachaxX
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I think it’s best to tell them the truth maybe not straight to the point but in a way which doesn’t sound harsh and personally I think she should’ve told her friend because that the only way to improve and telling others about it is wrong
lozzers0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by XxFabGachaxX)
I think it’s best to tell them the truth maybe not straight to the point but in a way which doesn’t sound harsh and personally I think she should’ve told her friend because that the only way to improve and telling others about it is wrong
That’s what I thought but i wasn’t too sure, and it makes me wonder whether she’s said the same things about the rest of us :/
samiyaaa
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by lozzers0)
Hello

I just wanted some advice on this question, recently at my school I have seen people lie to their friends about things to make them feel better/boost their confidence. Like one of my friends told our other friend that her painting was really good in art but in reality she thought it was terrible and made that clear to others.

could this be considered wrong or an act of kindness? or is it only okay if you don’t tell others you think it’s bad? because I thought that it was especially out of order that she told everyone else she thought it was terrible.
it was nice of her to say that her friends' painting is great, however, if she is going around telling other people that it's terrible, then what was the point of telling her that her artwork was great in the first place? don't get me wrong, telling her friend that it was good was nice of her but she shouldn't have gone around saying the mean stuff she said because that didn't change anything, as a matter of fact, she made it worse. if she didn't like her friend's painting she could have said nice little things and not gone around saying the mean ones because now imagine how her friend would feel once she found out what the girl said about her painting...it would have been great if she didn't even say anything in the first place. my advice to her would've been, great tel her it's amazing but DO NOT go around saying the complete opposite, either stick with that or don't even say anything at all in the first place. Sorry if that was long but these little things are really not okay.
davesantana
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
imo 'ugly girls' getting comments on insta like 'slay' 'go qween' 'beautiful' even if ur aware they arent the best looking, is a good way to build confidence.

with guys me and my mates usually cuss each other but the other half is just calling each other peng.
DiddyDecAlt
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Honesty is the best policy.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Depends on what the lie is. In this situation, the girl could have just said "yeah it's good but have you thought about changing X/Y/Z?" so it's more constructive criticism than an outright lie to her face. There's also the chance that she may find out your friend is going around telling others the painting is actually terrible which is even worse as she's been lied to and gossiped about. There's nothing wrong with saving someone's feelings if they've put a lot of effort into something but don't then go around telling others what you really think.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 3 days ago
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I think white lies are pointless. If the truth is going to hurt, I take a moment to consider the politest way I can phrase it while still being direct.
Jack22031994
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by lozzers0)
Hello

real friends should be able to tell each other the truth
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Everyone lies all the time, either to spare feelings or prevent an unnecessary argument. The girl who lied about the painting is a bit of a beatch though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (219)
53.41%
18-20 years old (no) (53)
12.93%
20-25 years old (yes) (64)
15.61%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
2.2%
25-30 years old (yes) (24)
5.85%