Gemmakerridge1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello. Since the start of year 12 I have been set on doing psychology at uni, my application and reference are all ready but I’ve asked my school to hold off sending it off because I’m having a last minute change of heart.

My plan was to do BSc psych and then an MSc in mental health nursing( but my plans might have changed by the end of my degree) but now I am thinking maybe I should just do a BSc in MHN. Does anyone have any ideas how I can combine my psych personal statement with a MHN one so I can apply for both to keep my options open without making my psych too mental health focussed.

Also anyone who is doing either degree who has advice on what either are like would be useful too

Thanks
AfricanDream
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Gemmakerridge1)
Hello. Since the start of year 12 I have been set on doing psychology at uni, my application and reference are all ready but I’ve asked my school to hold off sending it off because I’m having a last minute change of heart.

My plan was to do BSc psych and then an MSc in mental health nursing( but my plans might have changed by the end of my degree) but now I am thinking maybe I should just do a BSc in MHN. Does anyone have any ideas how I can combine my psych personal statement with a MHN one so I can apply for both to keep my options open without making my psych too mental health focussed.

Also anyone who is doing either degree who has advice on what either are like would be useful too

Thanks
I don't have a degree in either, however, I am currently doing a research internship working with a psychiatry professor, psychologists, PhD's, etc as part of an intellectual disabilities research group( at a Scottish University) and have also recently applied through UCAS to study undergraduate medicine. I have done quite a lot of medical work experience across a broad range of specialities including neuropsychiatry and done volunteering working with people with a dementia diagnosis and more recently Autism.

I personally think that you could try and bring out the caring aspect of both professions ( a good possible link) and overlapping skills needed in order to avoid it being purely mental health focussed. Both mental health nurses and most psychologists work with patients that are often vulnerable which requires good communication skills and patience. Also very important skills to have working with patients is compassion and empathy, the ability to build up rapport and trust with patients as many patients require long term care or repeat visits,etc.

I hope this is at least a bit helpful.

AfricanDream
Last edited by AfricanDream; 6 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (75)
18.7%
Labour (161)
40.15%
Liberal Democrats (86)
21.45%
Green Party (30)
7.48%
Brexit Party (12)
2.99%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.5%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.25%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)