medoc
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Is anyone else thinking about applying to the Sutton Trust US Programme?
Last edited by medoc; 6 days ago
MIRIMOO
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
i am
medoc
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by MIRIMOO)
i am
yay finally someones else is. why the sad face?
MIRIMOO
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by medoc)
yay finally someones else is. why the sad face?
Nerves ig, Im pessimistic and lowkey convinced I won't get in.

How's the application going?
medoc
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Oh me too, like my grades aren't amazing plus what the heck do I do with the video thingy. tbh I started the application but I still need to talk to my parents about submitting it and letting me apply. Dw you'll be fine, let's just have faith
MIRIMOO
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Good luck to us then,,
my grades and extracurriculars are average too tbh,
the video thing has simple instructions don't worry, and hopefully your parents let you go as its a cool opportunity
medoc
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
i just gotta get my application done, I just need to get the video done and those essays
Last edited by medoc; 1 day ago
ChrisTheStudent1
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Hi both! I'm Chris and I'm in Cohort 8 of the Sutton Trust US Programme.

First of all, I want to say that you should 100% apply. The programme really is life changing. Just three months ago, I spent a week in New York and surrounding states, staying at Yale University. Along the way, I have met so many inspiring people and learnt so much about studying in the US. I've just applied to my top choice university in the US and am anxiously awaiting a decision!

If either of you (and anyone else that sees the thread) would like to ask any questions, feel free to ask me!
ArabLlama
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I wanted to apply so badly as I heard about it through a guy who was in my school 3 years ago who did the programme (he’s at Harvard now!) but I had already signed up to a 4 week charity expedition in Tanzania during the summer and the expedition will 99% run over the dates of both the US programmes so, there’s no point in me applying. I was really gutted about this.
medoc
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChrisTheStudent1)
Hi both! I'm Chris and I'm in Cohort 8 of the Sutton Trust US Programme.

First of all, I want to say that you should 100% apply. The programme really is life changing. Just three months ago, I spent a week in New York and surrounding states, staying at Yale University. Along the way, I have met so many inspiring people and learnt so much about studying in the US. I've just applied to my top choice university in the US and am anxiously awaiting a decision!

If either of you (and anyone else that sees the thread) would like to ask any questions, feel free to ask me!
wow amazing! so glad you got in and enjoyed it. How did you do your video interview? did you have to say things to make yourself look good? Also how did they determine who got to go to which state? I know that have 4 places

Good luck with your application! I'm sure you'll get into the uni!
medoc
Rep:
?
(Original post by ArabLlama)
I wanted to apply so badly as I heard about it through a guy who was in my school 3 years ago who did the programme (he’s at Harvard now!) but I had already signed up to a 4 week charity expedition in Tanzania during the summer and the expedition will 99% run over the dates of both the US programmes so, there’s no point in me applying. I was really gutted about this.
oh that is a shame, but you're still doing something for an amazing cause that will help people, that's amazing and I hope the charity programme is really rewarding for you
ArabLlama
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by medoc)
oh that is a shame, but you're still doing something for an amazing cause that will help people, that's amazing and I hope the charity programme is really rewarding for you
Yeah I am really excited for it, I hope no one takes my first message the wrong way 😂😂. I was just hoping to get an experience of American universities. I guess I could always hope to get a placement from here
ChrisTheStudent1
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by medoc)
wow amazing! so glad you got in and enjoyed it. How did you do your video interview? did you have to say things to make yourself look good? Also how did they determine who got to go to which state? I know that have 4 places

Good luck with your application! I'm sure you'll get into the uni!
Hi medoc,

To make my video interview, I just used my phone propped up on a few books at the end of my bed - you’d don’t need any professional equipment! I think when I did mine there was about 3/4 questions to respond to in a set time. I thought about my responses before and tried to split my time so that I answered each question thoroughly.

There’s no need to say anything to make you look good. Just sell yourself for who you are! Be enthusiastic about your achievement and passionate about what excites you!

The weeks in the States are assigned randomly and from speaking to my friends on the programme, they’re all brilliant!
medoc
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChrisTheStudent1)
Hi medoc,

To make my video interview, I just used my phone propped up on a few books at the end of my bed - you’d don’t need any professional equipment! I think when I did mine there was about 3/4 questions to respond to in a set time. I thought about my responses before and tried to split my time so that I answered each question thoroughly.

There’s no need to say anything to make you look good. Just sell yourself for who you are! Be enthusiastic about your achievement and passionate about what excites you!

The weeks in the States are assigned randomly and from speaking to my friends on the programme, they’re all brilliant!
thanks for the info! I just wanted to ask what did you write about for the unjust law bit?
ChrisTheStudent1
Rep:
?
Report 20 hours ago
(Original post by medoc)
thanks for the info! I just wanted to ask what did you write about for the unjust law bit?
I think I wrote about my belief that legislation restricting 16 and 17 year olds from voting is unjust
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (54)
18.31%
Labour (117)
39.66%
Liberal Democrats (61)
20.68%
Green Party (22)
7.46%
Brexit Party (8)
2.71%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.36%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.69%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)