Mundane grammar question Watch

faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Why is it proper to use an appostrophe to show possession with the pronoun one, but not with the pronoun it? For example:

One must try one's best.
It tried its best.
Kink
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Apparently nothing belongs to an 'it'.
The Lyceum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Indeed, it's simply apart of the predicate.
Imilan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it's just to avoid confusion between possession and contraction (it is = it's).
Muppety_Kid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
Why is it proper to use an appostrophe to show possession with the pronoun one, but not with the pronoun it? For example:

One must try one's best.
It tried its best.
I have no idea.

I'll look it up, but the best I can guess is that originally it was:

"it tried it's best"

until confusion arose as to whether "it's" meant "it is" or "belonging to it".

Good question
faber niger
Rep:
?
(Original post by ObscenityTrials)
Apparently nothing belongs to an 'it'.
I suppose so. Because you can always use genders for animals.
faber niger
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Lyceum)
Indeed, it's simply apart of the predicate.
I really did try to understand you, Lice, but as knowledgable as I like to think I am, even armed with a definition of predicate, I couldn't get my head around it. Could you explain as though you are talking to a 10-year-old child please. :p:
alex-hs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

One must try one's best.
It tried its best.
who knows... it's just like that. I once read somewhere that possessive pronouns (in general) don't use apostrophes, a prime example being 'hers' (as in, it belongs to her). I think it was probably in Eats, Shoots and Leaves.

Plus there's the distinction from it's, the contraction of it is / it has, but I'm not sure it was intentionally designed that way.
mire
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

One must try one's best.
It tried its best.
It's because it is a possessive. You say "I tried my best". That 'its' is a possessive, so that is why it hasn't got any apostrophe. It is just like you would say "Anna tried her best".
On the other hand, you say "one's best", because 'one' is not a possessive, so it needs a Saxon genitive ( ' ) to introduce the possession, which is already included in 'hers'.

Did I explain myself?
faber niger
Rep:
?
(Original post by mire)
It's because it is a possessive. You say "I tried my best". That 'its' is a possessive, so that is why it hasn't got any apostrophe. It is just like you would say "Anna tried her best".
On the other hand, you say "one's best", because 'one' is not a possessive, so it needs a Saxon genitive ( ' ) to introduce the possession, which is already included in 'hers'.

Did I explain myself?
Oh, how very clever, I see now. Thank you. What's a Saxon genitive btw? Just a name for a punctuation mark first used by the Anglo-Saxons?

P.S. I see you're moving to my hometown -- welcome!
faber niger
Rep:
?
Oh, how very clever, I see now. Thank you. What's a Saxon genitive btw? Just a name for a punctuation mark first used by the Anglo-Saxons?

P.S. I see you're moving to my hometown -- welcome!
Ah, I just looked it up -- don't worry! :p: I'll have to learn all those cases when I do Classics at university (i.e. I'll be learning Latin and Ancient Greek for the first time there).
The Lyceum
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ah, I just looked it up -- don't worry! :p: I'll have to learn all those cases when I do Classics at university (i.e. I'll be learning Latin and Ancient Greek for the first time there).
Haha cases are easy, I can list them if you like:

Nominative: Marks subject
Genitive: Marks posession
Accusative: Marks object
Dative: Marks indirect object
Ablative: Preposition

And the predicate is just the part of a sentence that is not the subject.
Happiness
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
On a kind of related note...

"The 18th century explanation that the apostrophe might replace a genitive pronoun, as in "the king's horse" being a shortened form of "the king, his horse", is debated. This his genitive appears in English only for a relatively brief time. The construction occurs in southern German dialects and has replaced the genitive there, together with the "of" construction that also exists in English. While modern English speakers might expect that plurals and feminine nouns would form possessives using '-r', such as "*The queen'r children", in fact "his" or "hys" could be used for speakers and writers of either gender throughout most of the mediaeval and Renaissance period."
-Wikipedia (Genitive)

Doesn't really answer your question, but it's an interesting related note about where the construction (with an apostrophe) came from.
isi333
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I always believed it was simply to avoid confusion with the abbreviation it is or it was. (it's).
mire
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
did Latin and Greek at college. You will have well fun

-- And I can't wait to move to Salford!
The Lyceum
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mire)
did Latin and Greek at college. You will have well fun

-- And I can't wait to move to Salford!
Wow, you're the first person to ever say that, ever.
faber niger
Rep:
?
:mad: How very dare you insult my hometown! And to think, I used to like you. :p:
The Lyceum
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:mad: How very dare you insult my hometown! And to think, I used to like you. :p:
Sorry man, I met a girl from there once. She really soured me on the Salford experiance.
mire
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You are not the first person to tell me that, ever. lol
faber niger
Rep:
?
Sorry man, I met a girl from there once. She really soured me on the Salford experiance.
Oh, in that case, and because I have the experience of living here, I will agree; it is, on the whole, a rather **** place! Though where the university is is rather cool as it's so close to Manchester.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads