TheHistoryNerd_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hello,
I'm currently thinking about what A-level courses to apply for at college and am struggling quite a bit. So, I would like to go to university and study something to do with history, either something like classics (I've always wanted to learn Latin!), anthropology, archaeology or just like history etc... And I don't know what A-level would be good for these? Obviously I want to take history A Level but unsure what else to take? I'd be interested in psychology and English Literature A levels and Spanish (but where I'm applying it's unlikely the course will run). Any suggestions or anybody tell me what certain a levels are actually like?
Last edited by TheHistoryNerd_; 6 days ago
criticalem
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
if you've got a really good odea of what you want to do at uni, look at the entry requirement for the courses at different unis. A levels aren't always the be all and end all when it comes to career choices so just do what you enjoy because you need the motivation and enjoyment in order to complete the workload.
English literature, maths, the sciences, history, geography and languages are considered the most facilitating subjects regardless of university course, so that's something worth thinknig about if you definitely wa t to go to uni.
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by TheHistoryNerd_)
Hello,
I'm currently thinking about what A-level courses to apply for at college and am struggling quite a bit. So, I would like to go to university and study something to do with history, either something like classics (I've always wanted to learn Latin!), anthropology, archaeology or just like history etc... And I don't know what A-level would be good for these? Obviously I want to take history A Level but unsure what else to take? I'd be interested in psychology and English Literature A levels and Spanish (but where I'm applying it's unlikely the course will run). Any suggestions or anybody tell me what certain a levels are actually like?
History, English Literature and Psychology would be fine as would be a language. Latin would be great for classics. To be honest you can probably choose any subject with History and English Lit including things like Sociology, Law, Politics, Classical Civilisation etc
TheHistoryNerd_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Thank you, unfortunately at the college's I'm applying to they only offer Spanish or French .
holly6901
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by TheHistoryNerd_)
Hello,
sociology is good for anthropology
cdawes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I would definitely recommend to do English language with history as there are a lot of essays that do come up. Psychology is a really interesting subject but choose what you find most engaging and what you think you will work hardest towards. Yes unis ask for some subjects but all of yours are facilitating so you won't be too limited on what unis you can apply for. As long as you obviously do history you should be all good to go.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (54)
18.31%
Labour (117)
39.66%
Liberal Democrats (61)
20.68%
Green Party (22)
7.46%
Brexit Party (8)
2.71%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.36%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.69%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)