AQA Certificate Level 3 Mathematical Studies Watch

epicnm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Been told that AQA Core Maths is compulsory to take alongside my science A Levels. Just wanted to find out other people’s experiences, the difficulty from GCSE(I’m predicted a 7/8), how heavy the course is content wise and also is it difficult to get an A in (I’d like to do medicine but don’t want this compulsory qualification to harm my application). Thanks!
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It is extremely easy compared to AS Maths. I've known people who do both get an A and an E. However, it's not very well regarded so doing badly at it will look bad but doing well won't look especially good - but it should help you with some of the Maths in other A levels.
Lydia.Mx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by epicnm)
Been told that AQA Core Maths is compulsory to take alongside my science A Levels. Just wanted to find out other people’s experiences, the difficulty from GCSE(I’m predicted a 7/8), how heavy the course is content wise and also is it difficult to get an A in (I’d like to do medicine but don’t want this compulsory qualification to harm my application). Thanks!
I took this course last year. I do chemistry and biology A-level and so I thought that the course would be ideal to take just because it means when you're doing maths in the sciences that you've got it all fresh in your head and its easier to understand. Honestly, being predicted a 7/8 at GCSE will mean you will have very little trouble doing the course. I came out with a 5 in maths at GCSE so maths isn't really my strong point and I managed to get a B (so close to an A which is really disappointing as I had been getting As all year!). Also you pretty much use a calculator for most of the work and are allowed them in an exam. The course has some difficult aspects - the school chooses which paper 2 you do and so it can vary and I can only speak for the paper that I did which to be honest wasn't that linked with maths that you do in science, I think as long as you ask for help when you are unsure or look for videos online & just practice, practice, practice you will be fine!! To be fair, I really enjoyed the lessons as they were very 'thinking outside the box' and real-life maths types of questions, meaning some of them are more about making assumptions then actually getting the maths correct. Obviously you get UCAS points towards it and I don't really know much about medicine because I am not applying to do medicine but I would talk to the teacher running the course and see what they say - I would think it would be considered like an EPQ. You could always email some university application teams and ask them if it is worth doing it or not/if it would negatively affect your application. As for content, it isn't too heavy & I would say that it is manageable and considerably less than other A-levels - we had a lot of revision time to go back over things at the end of the year before the exams, I'd recommend buying a textbook and the workbook as there are little resources out there to help you because its such a new course. Good luck & if you do end up taking it, let me know, I can send you some links to useful websites that I used that really helped me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (110)
65.48%
No (58)
34.52%

Watched Threads