Bands you discovered at a Festival? Watch

[email protected]
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Has anyone else been at a festival and stumbled across a new band/artist who you had never heard of or barely noticed before, and were won over by the set they played?

Maybe whilst waiting for another band to come on or just while wandering around the stages when nobody in particular are on who you wanted to see.

Personally, I wandered into the last half of the Battles set at Leed Festival last year as my friends wanted to see The Academy Is...*shudders* who were on next. It was worth it though as Battles were amazing, in fact they were significantly better live than on their album which I was convinced to buy on the strength of their performance.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Cosmic Rough Riders at the Leeds festival in 2001 (was waiting for the Strokes I think, more out of interest than anything else). Got moved to the main stage in the end.

But, yeah, they (CRR) played a good set. Saw them again at Northumbria uni in.....2003 (about 20 people in the crowd, the most intimate gig ever!).
Girl.Scout
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Never seen Battles, but they're cool, my friend bums them and she got me into them.
Hello_Kitty
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Zico Chain at last years Download festival. Awesome set! Since then I've seen them live a couple more times and am quite a big fan of theirs!
dghaethjsyujwse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I discovered 360 at Beachbreak festival last month. They're a ska band from Birmingham and just really chilled out.
innerpartysystem
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Pigeon Detectives at Wireless last year. A year later they've brought out 2 albums and are massive, rather than being 4th on the second stage at an average festival.
k823127
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Pigeon Detectives last summer. They are now like big compared to barely known a yaer ago.
uthred50
Badges: 16
Report 10 years ago
Not a festival, but saw Within Temptation supporting Iron Maiden, and i'd never really heard them before. Now i likes them

uth =]
Absurd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Metronomy.
Poldev
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
9mk
lizzierocks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
get cape wear cape fly
gogol bordello
king blues
Becky7337
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Maximo Park a couple of years ago at Oxegen, nobody had heard of them!
Also Pigeon Detectives and Duke Special (although he was at a charity concert not a festival)
GrahamFromJeremyKyle
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Flogging Molly at reading 06

Gogol Bordello at reading 07

WOO

and i've seen many a band who are now "huge" like the wombats supporting babyshambles a few years ago.
nothingspek
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A band that supported a band, and I really want to remember their name but I can't, but they were amazing, argh, I've done so much research on it and still don't know their name :sad:
Freud
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd never listened to dashboard confessional before Reading '06. A friend made me sit through it and I doscovered how incredibly **** they were.

TBH festivals are usually a discovery of how awful some bands are live: Panic at the disco, fallout boy, CSS etc.

Only two bands I've walked past a tent of and have made my ears pricked up: The New York Dolls (they were playing stripper, it's damn catchy) and the sunshine underground.
tkane
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
------------------------
nothingspek
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Freud)
I'd never listened to dashboard confessional before Reading '06. A friend made me sit through it and I doscovered how incredibly **** they were.

TBH festivals are usually a discovery of how awful some bands are live: Panic at the disco, fallout boy, CSS etc.

Only two bands I've walked past a tent of and have made my ears pricked up: The New York Dolls (they were playing stripper, it's damn catchy) and the sunshine underground.
You think CSS are bad live? I've seen them 3 times and I thought they put a great show on.
Freud
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nothingspek)
You think CSS are bad live? I've seen them 3 times and I thought they put a great show on.
I think she has to wear full body sequinned leotards to make up for the fact she can't sing. I was really disappointed at reading last year
nothingspek
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Freud)
I think she has to wear full body sequinned leotards to make up for the fact she can't sing. I was really disappointed at reading last year
Yeah, she's not the best singer, but she has some real energy and presence on stage I think, which I like.
HJV
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I saw Turbonegro in Festimad a few years back and found them quite good. I'd never heard of them before that.

Also, The Used were better than I feared, as I watched them play before Pearl Jam in another festival.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.86%
No - but I will (88)
7.52%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise