Is it just me who ALWAYS gets broody, especially near my menstrual cycle? Watch

NurseToBe2022
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello everyone! I am a first year student nurse (Mental Health) and am 19 years old.

I feel like although everything is falling into place (passed driving test, becoming a nurse), there is a loneliness and an empty space that nothing/nobody can fill. I really want a family to come home to! I understand that I will be a young mother, but I know that I would be a good one.

I hate 'that time of the month' because I get so broody. My OH says we can have a baby after uni, which is understandable. I know out of sensible-ness I will not get pregnant until MAYBE in my third year (despite me always saying I would have one now). I don't want to delay my nursing degree.

In my head though, it's like a battle because I know that I really, really want a child NOW. I know it is the best thing to do to wait but it is so difficult as I am living for then and not now. I feel like everything good will happen after uni and I am waiting for the 3 years to tick away so I can reach my dreams. I know that emptiness will always be there for the next 3 years. I just want my degree, my own home and my baby in my arms and I want it ASAP.

Does anyone feel the same?! The broodiness gets worse ESPECIALLY during my period. I need coping mechanisms 😭 x
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by NurseToBe2022)
Hello everyone! I am a first year student nurse (Mental Health) and am 19 years old.

I feel like although everything is falling into place (passed driving test, becoming a nurse), there is a loneliness and an empty space that nothing/nobody can fill. I really want a family to come home to! I understand that I will be a young mother, but I know that I would be a good one.

I hate 'that time of the month' because I get so broody. My OH says we can have a baby after uni, which is understandable. I know out of sensible-ness I will not get pregnant until MAYBE in my third year (despite me always saying I would have one now). I don't want to delay my nursing degree.

In my head though, it's like a battle because I know that I really, really want a child NOW. I know it is the best thing to do to wait but it is so difficult as I am living for then and not now. I feel like everything good will happen after uni and I am waiting for the 3 years to tick away so I can reach my dreams. I know that emptiness will always be there for the next 3 years. I just want my degree, my own home and my baby in my arms and I want it ASAP.

Does anyone feel the same?! The broodiness gets worse ESPECIALLY during my period. I need coping mechanisms 😭 x
Students who take a break in their nursing studies for any reason are significantly less likely to return. You may also find that following a prolonged period of absence you struggle to get back up to scratch in terms of your skills.

It's also worth thinking about what happens after your nursing degree - having a baby straight afterwards and delaying your first job can have a big impact on your career. There is a step between finishing your degree and your first job which is difficult enough without having a break. I'd also encourage you to consider things like maternity pay - most jobs require about 6 months to a year of continuous service before you can take full advantage of maternity benefits. You also ideally want to be quite settled in a role that you enjoy and want to come back to.

If this is what you want then it can definitely happen, but you need to ensure you're not putting yourself at a major disadvantage in terms of your career. In order to properly care for a child you need to be able to support them financially so it's all about balancing these priorities. You've worked hard in your degree so there is little point throwing this aside.
NurseToBe2022
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Thankyou so much for the advice x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (7)
23.33%
Spring (6)
20%
Autumn/Fall (7)
23.33%
Winter (6)
20%
I love them all equally (4)
13.33%