Reading festival.. and diabetes Watch

her-own-wings
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
So this year will be my first time at Reading fest, but I've got something niggling away at the back of my head... I've got type 1 diabetes (insulin controlled) and I'm concerned about how I'm going to handle it being at a festival. I'm worried that my insulin might get lost, stolen, broken etc and that I won't have anywhere safe/comfortable to take it (toilets; big no no, and tent isn't always private/comfortable.) Does anybody know either anyone they know who has diabetes and have gone to Reading (and how they managed the previous things) or whether there would be places at Reading I could perhaps go to take my insulin and possibly store it? Replies are appreciated because it's been bugging the hell out of me, thanks.
Gaylei
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Im not 100% sure why you need to be comfortable taking it, well injecting, I understand you dont want to be seen but Im sure you could just find a bit of space around the back of the loo block to quickly inject. I dont know what the criteria is and how long it takes but did you know you can get pump now that you just program and it gives you insulin as and when you need it. as for storing your vials, maybe there is a first aid tent or something?

Also do you have an SOS bracelt or anything because as I am sure you know many people confuse a hypo with being drunk and at a festival Im sure they will think your drunk. thats what I would be most worried about people mistaking me for a drunk when im in need of medical help.

Im not diabetic but my best friend is and I have done some studies around it. I hope you work something out, or its going to ruin your trip... is there no information on the website?
lazza
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm sure if you went to the medical tents they would allow you to take it in there (and one would hope it would be more clean!!)

I've never had anything stolen at reading, but I have always taken valuables with me in a safe bag and at night slept with them at the bottom of my sleeping bag. I used a vintage box bag with a secure clasp last time, that would help prevent it from getting too banged about, and whether or not you could get a tupperwear kind of box to keep stuff in to make it more secure

Perhaps you could even ask if you could store your insulin at the medical tents for security. They're open 24/7
chr15chr15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
im going to reading this year first time aswell!
im thinking they will probably have some sort of medical facility/tent though and im sure they'd let u take it in there!
also if ur worried about it getting broken stolen etc then you could get a locker!
Antonia87
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This year at Reading will be my 18th (!) and I can tell you that there are health and first aid stations situated around the site. These would be the ideal places to inject yourself. Make sure you bring a letter from your doctor so they KNOW its insulin you're injecting, haha. You could even have them look after your medication for you if you wish.
Alasdair
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
I'm fairly certain they'll have a medical centre, and if you turn up there saying 'I'm a diabetic and my insulin's been nicked', they'll help you out...
star.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Going to the medical tent sounds like a good idea. Also, at the festival they have lockers for you to keep your valuables and charge your phone so I'd recommend keeping your insulin there so you don't have to worry about it getting lost. Have a great reading!
zanejamal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I dont see why it would matter too much. Just take your insulin in public. As for storage, you wont need a fridge as its only 3 days. However I would probably reccomend getting a locker incase your bag gets stolen. I might be going to reading this year, I'm not sure.
DannyBoy123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This year will be my second Reading and as others have said reduce the possibility of things getting smashed, broken or stolen then I suggest you avoid green and yellow camp sites as that's where the majority of so called 'rioting' goes on during the Sunday night after the music. I was in orange last year as that's kind of where we ended up and it was great because you were close to the mentalness but could sleep if you wanted to. This year I think we are going to be a bit more adventurous and go for yellow though.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I go to Reading festival every year and know the medical team there. If you go to the main first aid tent (right by the main walkin entrance in green camp) they can look after any meds you may have and will allow you to take them in the first aid tent. Do not worry.

If you have any other questions about the Reading Festival, send me a PM.
Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would go to the medical centre if I was you. Make sure any-one watching knows it is insulin you are injecting or there could be quite a mix-up.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DannyBoy123)
then I suggest you avoid green and yellow camp sites as that's where the majority of so called 'rioting' goes on during the Sunday night after the music.
that was a one-off and certainly does not happen most years. Brown camp is generally considered to be the worst. Security are having a number of improvements this year as well.
lazza
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
haha every year i went there was rioting and that was a good couple of years ago. we were in purple the year they created it and it was quite chilled, but they'd really upped security after the years before of just plain awful behaiviour
DannyBoy123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah I understand last year was a bit of special case; I spent a fair amount of time in brown and didn't think it was too bad, most of the explosions and general mayhem seemed to be coming from the direction of green and yellow...in any case, I'm sure you'll have an awesome time wherever you go.
her-own-wings
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thanks so much for the advice everyone, I feel loads better. I'll go to the main medical tent as soon as I get there, my best friend said she'll come with me everytime I need to go if I need to go there to inject so I'm happy about that. As for injecting in public, I have a thing about injecting in front of other people, it makes me really nervous and it's really difficult to inject when you're nervous because your muscles tense up and also people unaware of what insulin looks like might think I'm injecting something else. I'd also prefer to have my insulin kept in a cooler place because kept in my tent it might go off because it tends to in really hot conditions i.e. a tent in the middle of August! Oh and I'll also make sure I get an ID bracelet just in case I get seperated from my friends and something happens, cos I don't think we plan to spend much time sober!
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by her-own-wings)
Thanks so much for the advice everyone, I feel loads better. I'll go to the main medical tent as soon as I get there, my best friend said she'll come with me everytime I need to go if I need to go there to inject so I'm happy about that. As for injecting in public, I have a thing about injecting in front of other people, it makes me really nervous and it's really difficult to inject when you're nervous because your muscles tense up and also people unaware of what insulin looks like might think I'm injecting something else. I'd also prefer to have my insulin kept in a cooler place because kept in my tent it might go off because it tends to in really hot conditions i.e. a tent in the middle of August! Oh and I'll also make sure I get an ID bracelet just in case I get seperated from my friends and something happens, cos I don't think we plan to spend much time sober!
My friend had almost this exact problem last year, and in fact rang me halfway to say could I pick her back up from the train station, because she'd changed her mind and didn't want to go an have to inject herself there.

She went in the end, and had a great time. Had a word with her, and she said;

Make sure you make yourself known to the medical teams - They'll provide you with privacy to inject, plus you've got a better chance of being known then if you are rushed in to them.
Keep something on you - Doesn't have to be an SOS bracelet, just a piece of card or something) that says you are diabetic.
Keep your medicine in a locker.

Pretty much what everyone else has said. :P
velocity-girl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by her-own-wings)
Oh and I'll also make sure I get an ID bracelet just in case I get seperated from my friends and something happens, cos I don't think we plan to spend much time sober!
I'm severely allergic to peanuts, which is different I know as it doesnt require medication except in an emergency but I still need to have it on me at all times. I was really nervous before I went to Leeds last year but didn't have any probs. I kept my epipens on me in a shoulder bag/bum bag (yep i know its not cool but it did the job) and just made sure I didn't crowdsurf.

I have a medic alert wristband which is great, has all my medical details on the back and an ID number to call a helpline. My parents are so much happier when I'm out alone providing I'm wearing it. http://www.medicalert.org.uk/ is the website - definitely worth a luck.

And finally, enjoy! I certainly will be
saoirse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey

I haven't been to Reading, but in plenty of situations where I have had to rough it, either travelling or at horse shows etc, and really its no bother.

I am assuming you have an insulin pen rather than syringes? Cause you can be sooooo discreet with pens!

Don't be constrained by your diabetes...just make it fit round your life!

Definitely wear a medic alert bracelet and make sure you have a few packs of glucose tablets (I prefer lucozade but the tablets are so portable) and make sure you always have them on you.

In situations like this I take a box of cereal bars, not too sugary - then even if you don't get to have regular meals you can keep yourself going.

I understand some people are very private about their diabetes, and I certainly don't flaunt it, but its easier when you can be relaxed enough to take your insulin wherever you may be- on the bus, in the pub, etc. I'm sure your friends who will be at Reading with you know you have diabetes- its vital a few of them know.

A few of those things I've suggested might help to put your mind at rest
fire2burn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just head on over to the medical tent when you get there, if you're particularly worried just send an email to one of the addresses on the website.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (322)
37.49%
No - but I will (67)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (408)
47.5%

Watched Threads